Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-05-2008, 10:54 AM   #1
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via MSN to Tank2379 Send a message via Yahoo to Tank2379
Test Kit Brands

What are good Test Kit Brands? Or Which Test Kits are better to use for Ammonia, Nitrate, Nitrite, PH and calcium,Magnesium, Alkalinity?

Tank2379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 11:03 AM   #2
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
I use Salifert. They cost more than some others, but are very accurate.

Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 11:18 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Yeah that is pretty expensive.... Anything else i'll take any suggestions or other brands that are good.... Everyone give me your input on what you guys use? If possible.... I open to whatever as long it not to pricey.... Thanks for your reply ccCapt

Thanks.....
Old 09-05-2008, 11:42 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Agree that Salifert is top notch. I think a good value for your money though are the API (Aquarium Pharmaceuticals) test kits. In my experience, they give pretty accurate and consistent results. And they're available just about everywhere at good prices.

The only issue I found with the API tests are that as you get a little further into the hobby and want better resolution on your results, a few of the API kits just don't cut it. For example, the API test kit for nitrates gives you one color for 0.0ppm and another color for 10.0 ppm. It's pretty tough to know where you're at between those two points. The Salifert kit, on the other hand, can get you a reading down to as low as 0.2 ppm. Big difference if you're really wanting to get a feel for where your nitrates are. Similar issues with alkalinity.

For me, I use API for ammonia, nitrites, pH, alkalinity, and sometimes calcium. I use Salifert for calcium (most the time), nitrates, magnesium, and phosphates.
Old 09-05-2008, 11:44 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
API is decent for your basic tests, ammonia, nitrIte, nitrAte. I have some trouble reading their pH test. I would suggest getting them online as they can be a lot cheaper than at your LFS. You probably want to spend the extra money on the other tests, especially if you are doing corals. For FOWLR, API is decent for the money.
Since I only have hitch hiker corals (zoas and button polyps) I use the kit linked below:
Aquarium Water Testing: Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Saltwater Master Liquid Test Kit

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 11:56 AM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Thats the problem I have try to determen if the Nitrate readings are correct it very hard to tell and i have the API master saltwater kit... I just wanted other ideas on whats better..... Thanks Kurt
Old 09-05-2008, 12:01 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Question

Is Seachem good for testing?
Old 09-05-2008, 11:37 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to gheitman Send a message via Yahoo to gheitman
I have the Hagen Master Test Kit which includes tests for iron, calcium and phosphate as well as the more generally used tests. I personally found the API pH tests difficult to read. I also use the Jungle 6-in-1 test strips for quick and dirty results since I have ten tanks and doing the liquid reagent tests for all of them would be too time consuming.
Old 09-05-2008, 11:45 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Hagen... my LFS was trying to sell me the test kit before they must of been using it to test there water or they were just trying to move product....
Old 09-06-2008, 11:14 AM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

The Seachem Saltwater kit is decent. I used it for the first year I had my tank. Then I started using Salifert and use them and LaMotte (even more expensive) exclusivley. The Salifert kits have a sharp color change for most tests. It's much easier for me to determine what the actual number is vs. deciding a subtle shade differrence on a card. Even their nitrate kit is easy for me to read compared to the Seachem color card.

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
test, test kit

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com