Test Kits - Which one to get? (REEF)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You should get (at a minimum, and in order of how things cycle in the tank)
1: Ammonia test kit
2: Nitrite kit
3: Nitrate kit
4: Ph test kit.

If youre going the reef route, you will need a calcium test kit too. Im sure some of the more dedicated reefers can and will add to this list as well. It sounds like you are just getting started. Take things slow, and you will have less headaches in the long run. Make sure the cycle is complete, etc and the water parameters are stable before adding items. Good luck!

You definitely will want a calcium test, and maybe phosphorus, but that isn't as important yet. Your tank will tell you when that's high. :)

But also do get something to measure salinity. A hydrometer will work, and they're cheap, but you should get it calibrated when you get it by a refractometer. Ideally, you'd be able to get a refractometer, but they're kinda pricy. I still don't have one.

Maybe iodine too...

-j

I forgot to mention...Salifert is the best kit you can buy, but they're also not cheap. Get them if you can.

-j

hisc1ay said:
You definitely will want a calcium test, and maybe phosphorus, but that isn't as important yet. Your tank will tell you when that's high. :)

But also do get something to measure salinity. A hydrometer will work, and they're cheap, but you should get it calibrated when you get it by a refractometer. Ideally, you'd be able to get a refractometer, but they're kinda pricy. I still don't have one.

Maybe iodine too...

-j

just picked a refractometer up off of ebay for $40.

does anyone have any links where I purchase these test kits online?

THANKS A MIL!

hisc1ay said:
I forgot to mention...Salifert is the best kit you can buy, but they're also not cheap. Get them if you can.

-j
no kidding, I emailed marinedepot on them and they wrote back-
--
Hi,
Thanks for the email. If you're just starting out with a new tank, you'll
probably want to pick up the Salifert Nitrogen Cycle test kit for now:
http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=SFPNC
Eventually you'll probably want the Algae Test kit:
http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=SFPA

And then as you start to keep corals and other animals the Reef Package will
come in handy:
http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=SFPR

Please let us know if there is anything else we can help you with.
Sincerely, Eugene Y.
--

add all those up and thats over $200. Too expensive I think. Is all that necessary?

Here is what i test for and i base this on the Reef keeping artilce of what is considerd curicial to test for in a reef. the Red sea kits are pretty accurate and sailfert are the most accurate you can buy at last check.

PH, Nitrate,Nitrite, Ammonia, Phosphate,ALK, Magnesium, Strotium,Calcium

good luck

Aquarium Pharmaceuticals saltwater master test kit is cheap and gets the job done.

You can also get their calcium kit for around 10 dollars.

Back
Top Bottom