Test Strips or liquid drop kits ? ? ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rockcrawler

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have heard that the Test Strips are less accurate than the drops method . . .

I am a newbie, tank has been up for 5 weeks now, I have been using a Red Sea kit but It would be nice to use the strips. Up till now all my test have been very good.

All my LFS use the strips, because they are quick I'm sure.

But I want to be accurate also.

Thanks,

P.S. 75 gal reef tank, 130 # of LR, 6 chromis, 20 hermits, 20 turbos.

:lol:

Go with a "Master Test Kit" from Aquarium Pharmaceuticals....They are easy to use and are MUCH more accurate. You can get the test kit at most major chain pet stores like PetSmart...petco...etc...They run about 25-30 dollars, but last a VERY long time.

CHeck out our revies section up top to see user reviews on them.

Infact...just click here....

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/reviewpost/showcat.php?cat=33

Go with a "Master Test Kit" from Aquarium Pharmaceuticals
I agree with this kit. I purchased it and it works great. I have had my tank set up for about 2 months now and I was testing daily to begin with. The bottles barely feel like they have lost any liquid. Good Luck

I keep some test strips around...I use them when Im cycling or for quick checks for Nitrite or Nitrate. Theyre just fast. Other than that, the rest of the tests on the strip I dont use much. The pH and KH tests on the strip are worthless. They just dont work with the last bottle of strips I got. Both tests measure above maximum in any liquid. I have seperate liquid tests that I use when I need to be accurate, and I use a test strip for pH that is designed for medical use, so I know its accurate. If 25 bucks doesnt make you wince, then I would deffinitely go with the Master test kits listed in the previous posts. Heck, the test strips were over 10 bucks, and Ive used two bottles in the last year....the master kit would have been cheaper in the long run.

I keep some test strips around...I use them when Im cycling or for quick checks for Nitrite or Nitrate

I do the same thing. I rely on my Salifert tests for accuracy and the test strips for a general idea of how things are between tests. I also use the strips for the first couple of tests when I'm acclimating new fish. Then I use a real test to be sure before I move them. I wouldn't rely on them for the health and welfare of my fishies!

In a pinch, the strips will give you a vauge idea on high or low. For better accuaracy, drops all the way. I like SeaChem kits.

At work, we use the Master Test Kit from Aquarium Pharmaceuticals for both fresh and saltwater problems. These seem to have a very accurate read out, and it's simple to use.

Back
Top Bottom