Testing testing 1..2..3...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

h8z2luze

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok I know the dipstick tests suck but its all i could afford at the time. Anyway I am using that for a few days. The Nitrite level says it is above the danger area.... how do I fix that? the nitrate level is "OK" I want to get a good test kit too any suggestions? The other levels are ok it says.

The jungle tests aren't total crap, not a great product, but they do work in my opinion and comparison to expensive test. If your Nitrite is high, that means your tank is still cycling. Did you buy the amonia test. If not, get it also. Like $10 at walmart. Since your nitrite is high, that means the ammonia->nitrite bacteria are developing. Your nitrites will naturally lower over time. When that occurs, the Nitrate level will raise.

Post about your live rock, live sand, and any other bacteria filters you have on your tank.

Check out these articles about the nitrification cycle. http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showquestion.php?faq=2&fldAuto=16 and http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showquestion.php?faq=2&fldAuto=21

I’d never trust a “dip stick” personally. Get a AP Master Test Kit for the basic ph//nh3/no2/no3 tests. For advanced tests like ca/kh/po4/o2 I’d use the Salifert test kits

Pufferowners said:
The Nitrite level says it is above the danger area....

What level is the “danger level” If your no3 is above 20 ppm then you need to do 20% pwc with ro\di or distilled water until you get it down. Your tap may be the no3 source so I would avoid using that.

Nitrite is his issue, not Nitrate. The fact that any Nitrite is present means that the tank has not fully cycled or there has been an ammonia spike do to a fish death or something of that nature that the established bacteria could not handle.

How long has your tank been set up and what size is it? What are the inhabitants? Do you have LR? If so, how much?

If you could answer those questions, I think we can help you out.

tripper

Missed that :oops: no2 above even .25 ppm can be death to any fish you have. Either way the only way to get it down is through a pwc.

water changes! This is why that fish doesn't belong in a 10g tank. What are you using for filtration in there?

There is just a wisper filter in there and a bubble stone, also there is 2 pounds of LR sorry i am broke.... I will get my 55 gallon set up soon. The LFS said she has the same fish in a 10 gallon and put her fish in the same day as the water with the same setup I have and shes had it in there for 6 months and its fine.... She doesnt do that many PWC either.

You're going to need a lot more LR in the 55. like $400 worth maybe. You might want to order a 60lb box of dry rock from Hirocks.com, which will save a lot from that price. heck, you could even get 90LB from them, and toss in your 2lb to "seed" it. it won't be as pretty, but it would be a lot cheaper. You need to keep up with the WC's to keep your fish healthy in the meantime. You may want to cycle the main tank with a fresh dead shrimp (from the grocery store). Unfortunately none of this can be rushed (shipping from hawaii takes forever for hirocks) and your fish is at risk in the meantime. Keep testing and keep the numbers in check. Also be sure not to feed too much or too often, and siphon any food or poop out the bottom of the tank every time you do a WC.
You may need to do a 10% WC every day or two.

Ok thanks, How do I get the poop out and food? I got one of those vaccum's but it sucks. It wont lift out the poop. I found some LR on ebay really cheap and it come in the box from san bernadino closer to me than hawaii. Its just fiji rock but i dont care, its cured and everything. They want 25 for shipping and the bid starts at a penny. Sounds good to me.

The only fully “cured” lr you can buy would be from your lfs that has had it circulating in SW for a couple of months. If it has to be shipped then some die off will occur and you have to “cure” the rock before adding to the tank or else you risk elevating your nh3\no2 levels.

My order from hirocks took 8 days, I would still consider them for 30+lbs base rock as well.

Don’t worry so much about getting large pieces of poop out. It will break down and easily be vacuumed up after a week or two.

Your lfs as most do sound’s like they know very little about keeping fish and to keep a Porcupine Puffer in a 10 gal is very cruel and inhumane. The fish very well might still be alive after 6 months but it suffered immensely during the cycle process and will out grow the 10 gal very quickly.

Though tec is right, I'd like to clarify. because your fish is in another tank, you could cure your LR right in your new 55gal.

You can use a turkey baster or a siphon to clean the bottom of the tank. your 10g will make a nice quarantine tank once you take the LR out of it. (this is because you may need to medicate a QT, and LR will be damaged by this)

I agree that you should look for another LFS too. If you keep testing, and keep up with WC's you can keep this fish alive while you get your 55 up to speed. don't rush the 55. you will need to be sure the cycle is done before moving your fish.

I will do that. I got the levels close to normal. I think he will be ok. Thanks guys.

Back
Top Bottom