Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-24-2006, 07:03 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to h8z2luze Send a message via MSN to h8z2luze Send a message via Yahoo to h8z2luze
Testing testing 1..2..3...

Ok I know the dipstick tests suck but its all i could afford at the time. Anyway I am using that for a few days. The Nitrite level says it is above the danger area.... how do I fix that? the nitrate level is "OK" I want to get a good test kit too any suggestions? The other levels are ok it says.

Old 01-24-2006, 10:12 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

The jungle tests aren't total crap, not a great product, but they do work in my opinion and comparison to expensive test. If your Nitrite is high, that means your tank is still cycling. Did you buy the amonia test. If not, get it also. Like $10 at walmart. Since your nitrite is high, that means the ammonia->nitrite bacteria are developing. Your nitrites will naturally lower over time. When that occurs, the Nitrate level will raise.

Post about your live rock, live sand, and any other bacteria filters you have on your tank.

Check out these articles about the nitrification cycle. http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showqu...q=2&fldAuto=16 and http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showqu...q=2&fldAuto=21

Inverts - (2) Peppermint Shrimp, Scarlet Cleaner Shrimp, (5) Turbo Snails, (4) Nassarius Snails, (10) Blue Leg Hermits, Emerald Crab, (3) Scarlett Crabs, some small starfish(hitchhikers)

My Aquarium Photos
localhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 10:13 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to tecwzrd
Re: Testing testing 1..2..3...

I’d never trust a “dip stick” personally. Get a AP Master Test Kit for the basic ph//nh3/no2/no3 tests. For advanced tests like ca/kh/po4/o2 I’d use the Salifert test kits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pufferowners
The Nitrite level says it is above the danger area....
What level is the “danger level” If your no3 is above 20 ppm then you need to do 20% pwc with ro\di or distilled water until you get it down. Your tap may be the no3 source so I would avoid using that.
Old 01-24-2006, 10:43 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Nitrite is his issue, not Nitrate. The fact that any Nitrite is present means that the tank has not fully cycled or there has been an ammonia spike do to a fish death or something of that nature that the established bacteria could not handle.

How long has your tank been set up and what size is it? What are the inhabitants? Do you have LR? If so, how much?

If you could answer those questions, I think we can help you out.

tripper
Old 01-24-2006, 11:19 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Missed that no2 above even .25 ppm can be death to any fish you have. Either way the only way to get it down is through a pwc.
Old 01-24-2006, 02:08 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to jaiden
water changes! This is why that fish doesn't belong in a 10g tank. What are you using for filtration in there?

Red tiger lilly, Rotala Indica, Sagittaria Subulata, Micro Sword, Cardinal Plant
Fluorite Black sand and gravel
jaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 11:14 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to h8z2luze Send a message via MSN to h8z2luze Send a message via Yahoo to h8z2luze
There is just a wisper filter in there and a bubble stone, also there is 2 pounds of LR sorry i am broke.... I will get my 55 gallon set up soon. The LFS said she has the same fish in a 10 gallon and put her fish in the same day as the water with the same setup I have and shes had it in there for 6 months and its fine.... She doesnt do that many PWC either.
Old 01-25-2006, 12:10 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to jaiden
You're going to need a lot more LR in the 55. like $400 worth maybe. You might want to order a 60lb box of dry rock from Hirocks.com, which will save a lot from that price. heck, you could even get 90LB from them, and toss in your 2lb to "seed" it. it won't be as pretty, but it would be a lot cheaper. You need to keep up with the WC's to keep your fish healthy in the meantime. You may want to cycle the main tank with a fresh dead shrimp (from the grocery store). Unfortunately none of this can be rushed (shipping from hawaii takes forever for hirocks) and your fish is at risk in the meantime. Keep testing and keep the numbers in check. Also be sure not to feed too much or too often, and siphon any food or poop out the bottom of the tank every time you do a WC.
You may need to do a 10% WC every day or two.

Red tiger lilly, Rotala Indica, Sagittaria Subulata, Micro Sword, Cardinal Plant
Fluorite Black sand and gravel
jaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 12:19 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok thanks, How do I get the poop out and food? I got one of those vaccum's but it sucks. It wont lift out the poop. I found some LR on ebay really cheap and it come in the box from san bernadino closer to me than hawaii. Its just fiji rock but i dont care, its cured and everything. They want 25 for shipping and the bid starts at a penny. Sounds good to me.
Old 01-25-2006, 09:40 AM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

The only fully “cured” lr you can buy would be from your lfs that has had it circulating in SW for a couple of months. If it has to be shipped then some die off will occur and you have to “cure” the rock before adding to the tank or else you risk elevating your nh3\no2 levels.

My order from hirocks took 8 days, I would still consider them for 30+lbs base rock as well.

Don’t worry so much about getting large pieces of poop out. It will break down and easily be vacuumed up after a week or two.

Your lfs as most do sound’s like they know very little about keeping fish and to keep a Porcupine Puffer in a 10 gal is very cruel and inhumane. The fish very well might still be alive after 6 months but it suffered immensely during the cycle process and will out grow the 10 gal very quickly.

Tags
sting, testing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com