Tetra 16g water wonders tank good for SW???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

robertico587

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Okay, so i bought this tetra water wonders 16 gallon tank. I like the hood, and the overall look really matches w/ my apartment decor. even though I know the filter it comes with sucks. The hood looks really nice.

It comes with an internal whisper 10i filter, (NOT NEARLY ENOUGH FOR ANYTHING) so i also added another whisper 20i internal filter (Whisper In-Tank Power Aquarium Filters from Tetra - Filtration & Circulation - PetSmart). I also added a hydror aerator. (Hydor Ario Turbo Aquarium Aerators - Air Pumps & Accessories - PetSmart)

I also replaced the bulb it came with to a reef sun bulb. it is 18"/15 watts.

I have had the tank going for about 6 months now with fish and live plants, and it has been doing very well.

Now, I want to convert to salt water. Will this filtration be suitable? Will this lighting be suitable for some low light inverts? (and if so can you give me some examples???)

here is a picture of the tank, I don't think you can really have a hang on the back kind of filter, and i dont think I can add more lighting, but please let me know if I can! (The hood doesn't have a real opening in the back, it is had an opening, but it opens back towards the wall, and wouldn't really allow for much.)
(http://www.altavistamall.com/psproducts/ATS50053.jpg)
(http://a1272.g.akamai.net/7/1272/11...ryimages/normal/p-33961-44503-fish-supply.jpg)

thanks.
:n00b:

PLLEEEAAASSEEEE HELP

Last edited:
Probably because it`s in the wrong forum. Moving to General Hardware and equipment discussion.

I also replaced the bulb it came with to a reef sun bulb. it is 18"/15 watts.
Will this lighting be suitable for some low light inverts?
I don't think 1 15w bulb will be enough for any coral. Looking at the tank, I don't see how the lighting can be upgraded without totally eliminating the top.

Personally I would not use that tank for saltwater, maybe a Betta. When Saltwater evaporates the specific gravity increases dramatically in a small tank. So you would have to have an Automatic top off device or just top it off yourself daily Too much for me I have a hard enough time topping off my tank every 3-4days. And lighting is needed for corals so you really don't need any upgraded lighting if you don't do corals.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom