Tetra-Tec PF 500 Filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I had the PF 150 on my 26G, but then replaced it with my Emperor 280. I just couldn't get it to work properly, would for a short while, then would stop and the water in the sponge area would stay low and not rise. The filter wasn't a waste of money, as it was part of the tank kit. Much happier now with the Emperor. I'd either go with the Emperor 400 or a cannister (XP2, Fluval 304, Cascade 1000) for the 55G, if that's the tank you are getting it for.

I'll look at the emperor, but I hate canister filters because they are way too much work, so the other filters are out. Right now thatfishplace has a deal where you get the tetra with the heater free, so I'm probably end up getting it.

I've got a TetraTech PF150 filter on my 26-gallon bow front (probably the same setup that Lonewolfblue had) and have been quite happy with it from both a performance and maintenance perspective. I also like the in-filter heating system and it has given flawless performance in the couple of years I've had it.

-Joe

Actually, the maintenance on my XP3 is less than either of my Emperors, and way less than the TetraTec I had. Maintenance on my XP3 takes less than 5 minutes. Unplug, lift lever up to close off input and output lines, lift lines out of top of filter when lever is in up position, remove cannister and take to sink. Pop top open, remove baskets and set aside, take sponges out of lower basket and rinse out in tank water in the cannister and put back in the basket, empty cannister unit in sink and rinse out, put baskets back in and top back on, replace cannister under tank, put hose assembly back into cannister, push lever back down (auto-prime), and when it's full, plug back in. That's all there's to the XP3 maintenance. I'll be doing it once a month. My Emperors take much longer, but not near as bad as the tetratec I had.

I love my canister... Wouldn't have an HOB again (except maybe if I set up some smaller tanks). My Magnum 350 is much easier to maintain than any HOB I've had. Just close off the valves lift the canister off the motor, and I can clean it anywhere I feel... Plus the amount of media you can get it one... I got the Magnum 350 Pro so I got the 2 bio wheels with it. The media is also cheaper than buying HOB cartridges that only have a couple spoonfuls of carbon in them.

Fruitbat said:
I've got a TetraTech PF150 filter on my 26-gallon bow front (probably the same setup that Lonewolfblue had) and have been quite happy with it from both a performance and maintenance perspective. I also like the in-filter heating system and it has given flawless performance in the couple of years I've had it.

-Joe

Yup, same setup with heater. I just couldn't get it to work properly, would work for a while, 10, 15, 20 minutes, then the water wouldn't rise in the sponge anymore and would have to play with the adjustments til it started again. I'd even adjust water levels in the tank too. Just coundn't get it to work for me on my 26G. I still have it in the box, collecting dust. Not sure what to do with it.

jgc8fan said:
I love my canister... Wouldn't have an HOB again (except maybe if I set up some smaller tanks). My Magnum 350 is much easier to maintain than any HOB I've had. Just close off the valves lift the canister off the motor, and I can clean it anywhere I feel... Plus the amount of media you can get it one... I got the Magnum 350 Pro so I got the 2 bio wheels with it. The media is also cheaper than buying HOB cartridges that only have a couple spoonfuls of carbon in them.

Yes, cannisters are awsome....... :)

Give the PF 500 a try. Can't hurt. Then if you feel it's not up to your standards, or can't get it to do what it's supposed to, you can then look at getting something different. Plus it comes with the free heater, I'd give it a try. Then later, if you decide on a heavier bio-load, then you will definitely need a cannister to back up the PF 500.

Lonewolfblue said:
Then later, if you decide on a heavier bio-load, then you will definitely need a cannister to back up the PF 500.

I have a Whisper 60 and thats it right now and everything is fine, so if there is something wrong with the tetra I'll just go back to that. Canisters themselves aren't the biggest pain, its all the tubing is a real chore to disassemble and to clean, and the flow rates go way down with just a little gunk. I used to have a canister, but I'll never go back to one. HOBs are just so much more simple.

Back
Top Bottom