Tetra V Aqueon 55 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikem691

Aquarium Advice Addict
First let me say this is just my opinion.
On the 1st day of the $1 a gallon sale I grabbed a 55 gallon tetra tank
and set it up. I didn't exactly just grab it I examined all the 55's they had and most didn't look water tight but probably were. The tetra has been up and running with no problems for about 2 weeks. It replaced a 29 gallon.
Fast forward to yesterday.
I went to 4 different locations to buy another 55 to replace a 33 long but was told they are out of the 55's and so is the warehouse. One store even gave me a rain check which was cool because its suppose to be "while quantity's last".
So me wanting to get this done over the weekend, which includes painting the back of the tank, went to my local LFS and got an Aqueon 55 for $74.99. $20 bucks more.
So here is what I noticed immediately about the Aqueon.
1 The tank weighs about 20lbs more than the tetra
2 The glass is almost 2x thicker
3 The quality of the silicone applied is way better
4 The plastic trim is thicker and the cross brace branches into a Y for more contact to the rim.
In the end I am sorry I didn't spend the extra 20 for the 1st tank.
How ever again let me say I have had no problems with the tetra tank so far.
Just thought I would share and hope this isn't against any forum rules.
Mike

absolutely the aqueon tanks are better made. I was really disappointed when Petco stopped carrying the aqueon tanks for the $1 per gallon sale. I know someone who works for Aqueon and he said Tetra gave Petco a better price for the tanks. He did say they will be getting the contract back in the future.

I just bought a tetra 10 gallon fry tank and after filling it with water and setting it up noticed it had a small crack in the corner. Lesson learned, always move the cardboard it comes in and check the tank

Back
Top Bottom