Tetra Whisper EX45 Filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Clare

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am currently using a Tetratec EX45 Filter on my 40 gallon f/w tank.....if anyone is familar with this filter, I have a question.....when I replace the filter carbon bag, I need to know if I need to rinse off the Bio Scrtubber section at the same time or do I leave it in place with the gunk built up on the scrubber discs? Is this the biological aspect of my filter that I created cycling the tank? The reason I am asking is that the water has gotten a bit "dusty" with minute particles over time but it is is testing out okay on nitrites, nitrates, etc and the fish are thriving - thanks in advance for any responses :)

First, you really don't need to run carbon all the time. It's good for removing medicines and other chemicals from the water, but it's really only active for a few days.

Second, I'm guessing that BioScrubbers are the biological section of your filter. I'm not familiar with Tetratec filters, but the name is kind of a tip-off. Most filters flow like this: water in -> mechanical filtration -> carbon/other media if needed -> biological filtration. You can rinse clogged filter media in a bucket of aquarium water when you do water changes.

TetraTec Filter Info Found

Hi, Jim:
Thanks gain for answering my questions - I totally appreciate it. I did find a link about the filter online and I am reprinting what it says here. I think I will switch the Eheim canister I have for my 100 gallon tank over to the 40 gallon and get another newer one for the 100, which I am going to start cycling this weekend.

Installing your Filtration System
  1. Attach strainer (and extension tube, if necessary) so that strainer will be no closer than two inches to the aquarium gravel once the system is hanging on the aquarium frame.
  2. Hang system on aquarium frame. Be sure aquarium water is at or above the "minimum water level" indicated on the system's motor assembly.
  3. Once the system is properly in place, plug filtration system into outlet being sure to arrange a drip loop with the power cord,
  4. Squeeze "Start button" on Timestrip and place it in compartment on filter hood so that the white area shows through the window. The bottom of the white timeline will darken approximately 30 seconds after activation. Important: If bottom of timeline does not darken, then the Timestrip has not been activated and you need to squeeze the button again.
Maintaining your Filtration System
Changing the Carbon Filter
When the Timestrip in the filtration system's hood has turned completely red, it is time to change your filter. Note: It is important to change your carbon filter when the Timestrip indicates it is time to do so because that means the carbon in the filter has reached its capacity for removing toxins.

1. Open the system's carbon filter access door and lift carbon filter carrier.
  2. Hold carrier above doorway for a few seconds to drain water. Then invert carrier to a 45-degree angle and carry to waste bin.
  3. Squeeze carrier handle to drop dirty carbon filter into waste bin.
  4. Insert clean carbon filter into carrier (tan-colored floss should face the front). Drop carrier into system and close filter access door.
  5. Squeeze the start button on a fresh Timestrip and replace old strip in compartment on filter hood so that the white area shows through the window. The bottom of the white timeline will darken approximately 30 seconds after activation. Important: If bottom of timeline does not darken, then the Timestrip has not been activated and you need to squeeze the button again.
Cleaning the Bio-Scrubber™
Note: Do not dispose of the Bio-Scrubber unless it is damaged.
The Bio-Scrubber is a permanent part of the filtration system. It is not meant to be replaced or disturbed. If your Bio-Scrubber should ever become clogged as evidenced by restricted water flow or water flowing over the top of the Bio-Scrubber, then follow the procedure below.

1. Remove the system's hood and remove the Bio-Scrubber.
  2. Gently rinse the Bio-Scrubber in a bucket with aquarium water. Do not use soap or any other cleaner. Note: Do not remove the beneficial bacteria growing on the Bio-Scrubber. These bacteria turn toxins into harmless compounds.
  3. Reinsert Bio-Scrubber and snap system hood back into place.
Anyway, guess I have an answer :) The internet is a wonderful thing Thanks for being here LOL

Update on EX45 Filter

Hi Clare. I found this old thread and was wondering if you are still using the EX45 filter. I have one on my 20G and have been running it for a month or so. I figure I need to start thinking about changing filter pad and was looking to avoid the pads that come from Tetra. What has your experience been with this filter? Are you using their pads? I was looking into some polyester batting as a cheap alternative. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom