Tetra Whisper UL vs Non-UL

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GEOlson

Aquarium Advice Regular
I never noticed this before, but while looking at Tetra's website today I learned that there is supposed to be a difference between the white box and yellow box Whisper Air Pumps. The white boxed pumps are not UL-listed while the yellow boxed pumps are UL-listed. It's interesting on how the cheaper more economical air pump is marketed compared to the slightly more expensive UL-listed air pump. Because the UL-listed pump has all the "features" which aren't mentioned on the non-UL product description.

Can anyone tell me if it's actually worth paying the extra for a UL-listed air pump? I don't know if an air pump is something that needs to be UL-listed or not. After all, it is outside the tank, but many times it is located below the tank. But I always place check valves on the air line - AND YES, THEY DEFINITELY WORK!** I don't know what the differences really would be between the two models, perhaps that one gets tested by UL and the other is not held to that standard. Any thoughts on this?

**After not checking my DIY CO2 lines for a couple months, letting them die out, I removed the bubble ladders from the tank this week and the water was siphoned out to the check valve a few inches out from the top of the 2-liter bottle.

well UL listed can mean they have a better fire rating i.e. won't burn down your house. Most things UL listed are better built but then again we are talking about items made in China so it could just have a counterfeit UL tag on it as well.

I'll keep that in mind. I think I will bring this one back and swap it for a pair of fish. I just added Silver Dollars and I think another pair would make the shoal look a little more complete. As for the Whisper, I'm using in on a 29 gallon and it seems to be pumping out quite a bit of air from the smallest size Penn Plax disc/stone, maybe 2" diameter. Then I'll get a UL listed from elsewhere.

Where to place check valve?

I was wondering where you guys put the check valve on your air lines? Do you place them near the air pump, by the top of the tank, or could they even go inside the tank?

Thanks in advance.

It may be chance, but I bought a Whisper 60 for my 75 gallon tank and moved the Whisper 10 that was there to the 29 gallon tank, and the Whisper 10 that I had before is significantly quieter than the one I bought this week. So based on this comparison I will conclude that the "Retail" UL-Listed Whisper air pumps are quieter than the Non UL-Listed pumps.

Back
Top Bottom