tetrasand pH regulation question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fambrough

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have an established 5 gal with 3 Red Phantom Tetras and 1 Blue Tetra (I may move the Blue out to a 10 community tank that is now in the middle of a fishless cycle). I learned through experience that the tetras were happier with lower light levels. For nearly a year they thrived with only natural light. Recently I dampened the bulb with duct tape (use number 1001 LOL) and now run it on as normal. More to my question, I recently learned through net surfing that they prefer a lower pH. My water is on the higher side, 8.0. Is there some rock material that can naturally buffer the pH? Should I try to chemically manipulate the pH in my water changes? Or should I leave well enough alone?

TIA

I would advise against using chemicals. It can cause your pH to swing back and forth. Instead, try using driftwood. It will naturally decrease your pH slowly.

Thank you for the reply, Fishyfanatic.

Can you explain to me how driftwood effects pH? In a small tank, such as mine, how much of change can be expected and how much drift wood can I add. There is a very good selection here by lake Erie I can boil.

Cheers,
Ben

It sounds like the fish have survived just fine without a low pH. I wouldn't worry too much about the pH value if the fish are healthy. Just keep it stable.

Tannic and humic acids from decaying organic material are released into the water. This lowers the pH.

Back
Top Bottom