That Dang Glare

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shiels

Aquarium Advice Newbie
This is a question about aquarium lighting and hoods.

I'm gathering supplies to set up a new aquarium, and the time has come to think about lighting. Obviously, there are a lot of pros to using LED aquarium lighting. One drawback, however, is that dang glare you get above your tank, from directly under the lip of the LED light fixture itself.

That glare is not only unsightly, but if you have your tank in, for example, a living room, it can also be distracting and hard to live with. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind being distracted by the fish themselves or whatever might be going on INSIDE the tank. I just don't want to be distracted by anything on the outside of the tank, especially not a constant, bright danged light.

So, what are the alternatives? As far as I know, an old fashion fluorescent fixture and hood, which aren't as efficient as an LED set up. Or, a cheaply made hood that comes with built-in LED lights, that dies within months.

Is there anything else? Something reasonable? For example, can anyone recommend a hood/canopy that hides the outside of tank glare from LED light fixtures? Or, maybe a well-made hood with built-in LED lights?

Thanks.

Can you lower the light onto the tank rim? I've done that and it's cut out a lot of the glare/reflection off the Perspex covers. From memory it was a good 10% PAR increase lowering lights a couple of inches.

Back
Top Bottom