Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-09-2016, 01:09 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

That Dang Glare

This is a question about aquarium lighting and hoods.

I'm gathering supplies to set up a new aquarium, and the time has come to think about lighting. Obviously, there are a lot of pros to using LED aquarium lighting. One drawback, however, is that dang glare you get above your tank, from directly under the lip of the LED light fixture itself.

That glare is not only unsightly, but if you have your tank in, for example, a living room, it can also be distracting and hard to live with. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind being distracted by the fish themselves or whatever might be going on INSIDE the tank. I just don't want to be distracted by anything on the outside of the tank, especially not a constant, bright danged light.

So, what are the alternatives? As far as I know, an old fashion fluorescent fixture and hood, which aren't as efficient as an LED set up. Or, a cheaply made hood that comes with built-in LED lights, that dies within months.

Is there anything else? Something reasonable? For example, can anyone recommend a hood/canopy that hides the outside of tank glare from LED light fixtures? Or, maybe a well-made hood with built-in LED lights?

Thanks.

Old 11-10-2016, 06:58 AM   #2
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Can you lower the light onto the tank rim? I've done that and it's cut out a lot of the glare/reflection off the Perspex covers. From memory it was a good 10% PAR increase lowering lights a couple of inches.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com