That "New Plastic Smell / Odor" on Immersed Aquarium Accessories...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

territerri

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm re-posting my question in the General Hardware category out of curiosity & just in case...

"Did New Top Fin Heater Kill My Platys?" (Thread Title as posted in Freshwater - Unhealthy Fish yesterday)

2 weeks ago I acquired 6 blue platys & moss ball from a LFS, all of which were healthy, happy, horny and hungry. I placed them in a 5G QT tank w/ filter but no heater.

2 days ago, I placed a brand new, fresh-out-of-the-package, Top Fin 50 watt aquarium heater in the QT tank (so they could get used to a higher temp in the community tank), switched the temp to approx 82F (3F > current temp).

Next morning, all platys were huddled at the bottom of the tank, appearing to be "gasping" & not moving around like before. They also weren't interested in food. I turned the heater temp down by 1F, thinking the water may be too warm, too soon. 2 fish were sideways & died shortly thereafter. I immediately purchased & added an air pump to better oxygenate the water yesterday evening. By early this afternoon, the 4 remaining platys had perished, i.e. all 6 died w/in 24 hrs.

When I smell the rubber-like bumpers on the heater, they still have a nasty, strong "new plastic" odor emanating from them. It seems too much a coincidence that the fish died only over the last 2 days when the heater was placed. Before that, they had shown no signs of illness, i.e. irregular swimming, lack of appetite, etc.

(Feedback from "Freshwater - Unhealthy Fish" included: poss. skewed parameters, tank over capacity, etc., which I'll definitely take into consideration for next time!)

Your thoughts / experience on smelly plastics in tanks? I also have plastic aquarium plants that have a slightly less strong odor but it worries me whether the fish would be sensitive to them?

Seems like a lot of fish for a 5 gallon tank.. What was your ammonia testing at??

I didn't test parameters during the 2 weeks quarantine. Maybe I should do a post-mortem water test just for my own knowledge...?

Finally got around to testing parameters -- 4 days after the fish died. I left the filter running and the moss ball in there during that time. There were also some uneaten food particles I couldn't remove with the net.

Parameters as follows (5G tank):
pH = 6.6
ammonia = 6.0 ppm
nitrite = 0 ppm
nitrate = 20 ppm

Your ammonia killed them... If you are going to use a QT make sure it's cycled with appropriate filtration or do frequent water changes to keep ammonia down, probably once a day...

Back
Top Bottom