The Aqualight Advanced MH Has Arrived.................

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xxnonamexx

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well it is here and I set it up today. The Aqualight Advanced MH fixture. 2 150W 20,000K MH. I have it set up with egg crate on top with 8 layers of screening on top so that I can slowly acclimate the species in the tank. The lights will be on for 10 hours and I will remove a screen every 3 days. Is this good? Thanks

Sounds good to me. Use your instinct to feel it out from here, every tank is different. Welcome to the brighter side-break out the sunscreen lol. Best of luck.

Do you think 8 sheets of screen is too much? Should I reduce it to 6? there is very lil light coming in. You can see the light on the bottom of the tank I just want to make sure there is enough for this stage. Thanks

Do you think 8 sheets of screen is too much?
Honestly, I've never done this so w/out actually seeing your tank it's hard for me to say. In this case, I would rather err on the side of caution. Three days of too little light will not kill your corals, but three days of too much light very well may. IMO, keep 8 sheets, stick to your plan, and keep a close eye on things. If things start to go too fast, your corals will let you know.

You may be able to go down to 6 I personally would, take them off very slowly over a good amount of time..

I have same light but with 10K MH. Does 20K little too blue? Will the 20K little good enough for Acros? It is almost time for me to replace the bulbs. I heard there are 14K bulbs too. Anyone has experience with that? Thanks

noname....Does the corals seem to be opening up to the light and looking healthy? That tank looks pretty dim from the pics i would take a screen or 2 off. JMO

I have same light but with 10K MH. Does 20K little too blue? Will the 20K little good enough for Acros? It is almost time for me to replace the bulbs. I heard there are 14K bulbs too. Anyone has experience with that? Thanks
wlam18, 20K bulbs will make it so you dont have to have supplement Attinic lighting also on your tank. Although people I know have VHO and 20K MH on their setups and looks awesome, but not necessary. I have 3 250watt MH 20K bulbs on my 125gal and it looks great. Although im thinking of adding a single VHO for more attinic look. HTH

I know it seems dim but from what i heard it is supposed to be as I am acclimating everything to the brighter light

I now have 7 layers on my tank still dim but I don't want to harm my clams those are the most important to me and yes it looks as if this will give my tank a beautiful blue glow to it.

You should be fine i only asked if the corals opened up since most corals require light, and clams consider a good amount of light. Just make sure your clams open up and look healthy.

Well this clam still has senses but it doesn't look so good this morning http://www.flickr.com/photos/59422509@N00/. My other clam on the other side is doing great. What else should I do? I have the MH acclimating w/ 7 screens in between so I need to give it a few days before I take a layer off. Do you think this will harm the clam as to not getting enough light during acclimation? Thanks

Back
Top Bottom