Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-21-2005, 05:22 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

The Aqualight Advanced MH Has Arrived.................

Well it is here and I set it up today. The Aqualight Advanced MH fixture. 2 150W 20,000K MH. I have it set up with egg crate on top with 8 layers of screening on top so that I can slowly acclimate the species in the tank. The lights will be on for 10 hours and I will remove a screen every 3 days. Is this good? Thanks

Old 05-21-2005, 05:26 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sounds good to me. Use your instinct to feel it out from here, every tank is different. Welcome to the brighter side-break out the sunscreen lol. Best of luck.

Old 05-21-2005, 06:52 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Do you think 8 sheets of screen is too much? Should I reduce it to 6? there is very lil light coming in. You can see the light on the bottom of the tank I just want to make sure there is enough for this stage. Thanks
Old 05-21-2005, 07:31 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Do you think 8 sheets of screen is too much?
Honestly, I've never done this so w/out actually seeing your tank it's hard for me to say. In this case, I would rather err on the side of caution. Three days of too little light will not kill your corals, but three days of too much light very well may. IMO, keep 8 sheets, stick to your plan, and keep a close eye on things. If things start to go too fast, your corals will let you know.
Old 05-21-2005, 10:43 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to gooyferret Send a message via Yahoo to gooyferret
You may be able to go down to 6 I personally would, take them off very slowly over a good amount of time..
Old 05-21-2005, 11:07 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well I have 8 layers this is what It looks like the best pic I can get The bright light is the reflecton on the screens. http://www.flickr.com/photos/59422509@N00/
Old 05-22-2005, 01:24 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have same light but with 10K MH. Does 20K little too blue? Will the 20K little good enough for Acros? It is almost time for me to replace the bulbs. I heard there are 14K bulbs too. Anyone has experience with that? Thanks
Old 05-22-2005, 01:32 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to gooyferret Send a message via Yahoo to gooyferret
noname....Does the corals seem to be opening up to the light and looking healthy? That tank looks pretty dim from the pics i would take a screen or 2 off. JMO

Quote:
I have same light but with 10K MH. Does 20K little too blue? Will the 20K little good enough for Acros? It is almost time for me to replace the bulbs. I heard there are 14K bulbs too. Anyone has experience with that? Thanks
wlam18, 20K bulbs will make it so you dont have to have supplement Attinic lighting also on your tank. Although people I know have VHO and 20K MH on their setups and looks awesome, but not necessary. I have 3 250watt MH 20K bulbs on my 125gal and it looks great. Although im thinking of adding a single VHO for more attinic look. HTH
Old 05-22-2005, 01:22 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Corals seem to be opening a lil the clams are open but I will remove 1 sceen today.
Old 05-22-2005, 01:23 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

I know it seems dim but from what i heard it is supposed to be as I am acclimating everything to the brighter light

Tags
light

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com