Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 06-08-2013, 08:53 PM   #1
member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,392
The "Bubble Curtain Under Filter Intake" Factor...

Okay, so I think we may have covered this before -- but now that the noise being generated by my AquaClear 110 from the bubbles being sucked up by its intake beneath it has gotten progressively (seemingly) worse and is now being accompanied by a rough "unseating/banging" noise indicating to me the impeller is being ready to be unseated from all the cavitation, I am wondering if I should yet attempt again moving the bars away from the intake(s)...

I tried this once before but to no avail because my 60 gallon Marineland is so NARROW -- its dimensions give more water in the TALLER sense than the long, so the tank itself in width isn't that great. This lead to me pulling the 18 inch bubble bars -- which are just about against the back glass -- out a bit to escape being sucked into the 110's intake (the Aqueon isn't affected by the bars)...but this ended up looking awful because it seemed like the bubble wall was erupting from the middle of the tank and looked kind of strange...

Thus, here I am again with the dilemma; the "box of rocks" noise the filter is making as it slices up the bubbles from the bar beneath it is getting truly annoying now, so I'd like to know if I SHOULD at this point attempt to reposition the bars yet again, pulling them away from the intake to the point the bubbles won't be sucked into it...and I'm wondering if constant bubble intake into the filter is REALLY going to ruin the AquaClear over time, or if this is merely an online rumor...

Any thoughts before I begin?
__________________

__________________
ArtesiaWells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 10:57 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Ian086's Avatar


 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Drogheda, Ireland
Posts: 3,096
You could try putting a prefilter sponge on the aquaclear. This should stop most of the bubbles being sucked up. The downside is it involves clean the sponge more because all the larger waste will be stuck to it. Also you could put some polyfil inside the intake pipe. Again this would require regular cleaning/changing.
For the impella, i'm sure you have heard/done this already but you could grease the impella....
__________________

__________________
Ian086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 07:19 PM   #3
member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian086 View Post
You could try putting a prefilter sponge on the aquaclear. This should stop most of the bubbles being sucked up. The downside is it involves clean the sponge more because all the larger waste will be stuck to it. Also you could put some polyfil inside the intake pipe. Again this would require regular cleaning/changing.
For the impella, i'm sure you have heard/done this already but you could grease the impella....
Thanks Ian -- appreciate your input in the shadow of thread-derailing rhetoric! I had certain members here on "Ignore" but unfortunately you can see the commentary before you offically log in...

I was considering the prefilter angle -- but do you really think most of them would be stopped (the bubbles that is) from being sucked through the intake? Do you have any recommendations on ones to consider buying?
__________________
ArtesiaWells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 07:44 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Ian086's Avatar


 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Drogheda, Ireland
Posts: 3,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtesiaWells View Post
Thanks Ian -- appreciate your input in the shadow of thread-derailing rhetoric! I had certain members here on "Ignore" but unfortunately you can see the commentary before you offically log in...

I was considering the prefilter angle -- but do you really think most of them would be stopped (the bubbles that is) from being sucked through the intake? Do you have any recommendations on ones to consider buying?
I definitely think it's worth a try. They are really cheap, so you don't have that much to lose!!. I use them on my fry tank but when I change the water, I notice the tiny bubbles you get after changing the water, stick to the sponge and don't seem to get sucked in, despite it being a pretty strong HOB filter. I think it could work in your case or at least help a lot. Have a quick look on Amazon/Ebay or even your LFS should have them. They are only a few dollars. Mine is a fluval. The sponge is about 1cm thick. I'm sure you could other brands that are even thicker which would make it even harder for the bubbles to penetrate.
pre filter sponge | eBay

Amazon.com: pre filter sponge
__________________
Ian086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 09:00 PM   #5
member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian086 View Post
I definitely think it's worth a try. They are really cheap, so you don't have that much to lose!!. I use them on my fry tank but when I change the water, I notice the tiny bubbles you get after changing the water, stick to the sponge and don't seem to get sucked in, despite it being a pretty strong HOB filter. I think it could work in your case or at least help a lot. Have a quick look on Amazon/Ebay or even your LFS should have them. They are only a few dollars. Mine is a fluval. The sponge is about 1cm thick. I'm sure you could other brands that are even thicker which would make it even harder for the bubbles to penetrate.
pre filter sponge | eBay

Amazon.com: pre filter sponge
Hey man, thanks a lot for the feedback and links! Much appreciated; I am going to reply to your private message now...

Is there anything else -- short of me having to move the bubble bar -- you can think of to stop the bubbles from being sucked into the intake?
__________________
ArtesiaWells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 09:09 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Ian086's Avatar


 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Drogheda, Ireland
Posts: 3,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtesiaWells View Post
Hey man, thanks a lot for the feedback and links! Much appreciated; I am going to reply to your private message now...

Is there anything else -- short of me having to move the bubble bar -- you can think of to stop the bubbles from being sucked into the intake?
It's late over here and my brain is starting to shut down, not that it ever is switched on...haha. Any chance of a picture???
__________________
Ian086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 09:11 PM   #7
member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian086 View Post
It's late over here and my brain is starting to shut down, not that it ever is switched on...haha. Any chance of a picture???
LOL...

Unfortunately, I don't have a picture, but the bubbles are pretty much, if you can imagine this, being continuously sucked into the AquaClear's intake, thus making a horrible grinding, "box of rocks" noise that sounds like it's about to affect the impeller...
__________________
ArtesiaWells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 09:22 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Ian086's Avatar


 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Drogheda, Ireland
Posts: 3,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtesiaWells View Post
LOL...

Unfortunately, I don't have a picture, but the bubbles are pretty much, if you can imagine this, being continuously sucked into the AquaClear's intake, thus making a horrible grinding, "box of rocks" noise that sounds like it's about to affect the impeller...
So does it stop if you switch off the bubbles??
__________________
Ian086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 09:32 PM   #9
member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian086 View Post
So does it stop if you switch off the bubbles??
Oh, yes -- that's another indication that it's the bubbles causing the noise/cavitation...
__________________
ArtesiaWells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 04:33 PM   #10
member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian086 View Post
I definitely think it's worth a try. They are really cheap, so you don't have that much to lose!!. I use them on my fry tank but when I change the water, I notice the tiny bubbles you get after changing the water, stick to the sponge and don't seem to get sucked in, despite it being a pretty strong HOB filter. I think it could work in your case or at least help a lot. Have a quick look on Amazon/Ebay or even your LFS should have them. They are only a few dollars. Mine is a fluval. The sponge is about 1cm thick. I'm sure you could other brands that are even thicker which would make it even harder for the bubbles to penetrate.
pre filter sponge | eBay

Amazon.com: pre filter sponge
First, thank you moderators for "cleaning up" this thread...

Second -- Ian, I wanted to let you know that I checked out those prefilters you linked above, and I'm intrigued...the thing is, do you know if any of them will fit the AquaClear 110's intake strainer?
__________________

__________________
ArtesiaWells is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bubble, filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.