Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-03-2012, 05:03 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

The center brace on my 37g is broken.

The center brace on my 37g tank is broken. I was told that there was no way to replace it without replacing my tank. Since I'm not made of money, I'm trying to figure out a way to patch it. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 08-03-2012, 05:18 PM   #2

This is a picture of the brace as things are right now. I guess this will teach my cousin not to bring his three year old over. The kid wanted to "swim with the fishies" so he tried to climb into the tank! He might have broken the brace but it was almost worth it. I laughed so hard I cried. FYI: I'm intensely aware of how dangerous that situation could have been and I've taken steps to make sure it never happens again.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120803_160927.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	110432

Old 08-03-2012, 05:24 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ive heard of.people using plexiglass and expoxy to make a new brace. dont know how well it works
Old 08-03-2012, 05:25 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Are you sure you can't just replace the entire top trim, which would include a brace? That's what my lfs did for me when I was purchasing a used tank from him.
75: blood parrots, featherfin cat, emperor tetras, turquoise rainbowfish, BN plecos, japanese trapdoor; 46: WCMM, gold inca snails, ghost, bamboo & amano shrimp, kuhli loaches, rummynose & ember tetras, endlers, platies, flame gourami, guppies; 16: pygmy, peppered, loxozonus corys, otos, assassins, RCS ... ~ Research PRIOR to purchase.... ~
LyndaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 07:29 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Depending on how the brace is connected to the trim, you might have to replace the trim as Lynda suggested. If it is connected separately from the trim then you can get a piece of glass cut and use epoxy to seal it. I had to replace the center brace on my 75 and all it cost for the glass was $4 and that included the cut.
Old 08-03-2012, 07:43 PM   #6

I'll have to check into that option. I was told that the trim couldn't be replaced but it was a semi-trained employee of a chain store that told me that and I'm not sure how reliable that advice was. I may have to go to a lfs and see what they say.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com