The "Duck Tape Factor"...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ArtesiaWells

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I'm still trying to figure out a way to cover those "holes" left by the hood cutouts when I first got my tank and removed the back pieces to allow for the filters to hang, because I left too much room on one hood and the escaping and popping bubbles from the bars against the back glass at the bottom of the tank started causing runoff on the back glass, which in turn caused nasty hard water stains. When I attempted to place washcloths back there, the first attempt created a semi flood towards the front of the tank's stand when water pooled up in the washcloth from the evaporation and slowly dripped on the stand, which slowly made its way under the tank and pooled at the front. My next try was to switch up washcloths every day or every other day to dry ones, but that was getting daunting; on someone's recommendation, I went out and got Glad Press N Seal, but this didn't work too well, either because as the seal got wet from the evaporation it would start to fall apart...

So yesterday I went out and picked up some black duck tape from Home Depot and stretched a few pieces of that across the open sections of the hood out back, and this seems to be working for now -- but is there any danger of the glue from the tape seeping off as the evaporated water and bubbles hits it and falling into the tank somehow? Or should I be okay for awhile? The sticky end of the tape isn't anywhere near the top surface of the water, but I'm concerned with as it "absorbs" the evaporation...

Thanks.

Huh?

Are you sayin' to use Mighty Putty instead of tape? Is it waterproof?

It's waterproof, and a good sealant

Is this carried at home improvement stores, or do I have to buy it online (I Googled it)?

Conversely, do you think the tape will be a safety issue with the tank's water?

Is this carried at home improvement stores, or do I have to buy it online (I Googled it)?

Conversely, do you think the tape will be a safety issue with the tank's water?

I doubt it, I used packing tape over mine for 6 months and everything was fine. Duct tape is different, but I doubt it will harm anything

Thanks George. :)

You mean you used packing tape over a HOOD HOLE for six months? And no evaporated water caused leakage of the tape glue into the tank?

THAT'S what I'm concerned with...:hide:

Thanks George. :)

You mean you used packing tape over a HOOD HOLE for six months? And no evaporated water caused leakage of the tape glue into the tank?

THAT'S what I'm concerned with...:hide:

Yup I did lol. I got an eel and I needed a quick fix haha

There was evaporation on the inside of the tape, I'm sure it dripped into the tank, but nothing happened to the fish, so I assumed it's okay :)

You can tape a piece of duct tape to the sticky part of another piece so it's smooth on both sides, then just tape the strands to the rim of the tank so there's no sticky part over the tank

Did that make sense? Lol

I know what you meant; lol...I was thinking of doing that from the beginning, but just went the "fast" route...

In other words, you're saying tape the tape to another piece of tape underneath, so there's no "sticky" part FACING the water in the tank, right?

How did you solve your hole in the hood problem permanently?

I know what you meant; lol...I was thinking of doing that from the beginning, but just went the "fast" route...

In other words, you're saying tape the tape to another piece of tape underneath, so there's no "sticky" part FACING the water in the tank, right?

How did you solve your hole in the hood problem permanently?

Yep that's exactly what I was saying.

I just left the tape, it was sticking on well after months, so I said why change it. I took the tank down 6 months later.

I can't really think of any other way to do it, the tape might look bad, but it works lol

Back
Top Bottom