Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-10-2013, 01:34 AM   #101
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

The cap is just over a year old. Started as a postage stamp size frag. I am guessing the shroom count is over 500.

Old 02-10-2013, 03:46 PM   #102
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Old 02-27-2013, 06:04 PM   #103
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Have been using the Lifegard fluidized filter with purigen for a week now as per the Youtube video. Hung it on the frag tank. First, it doesn't tumble like it does in the video. After considerable fiddling, I can get it to work okay, but all the lighter purigen particles are now in the frag tank. I even made a floss post filter to try and catch them but they are elusive. Will siphon them out but don't think they are causing any damage. I had the same problem with the BSR dual reactor, the finer purigen particles would clog the foam pads within hours. While I like regenerating purigen and it does lower organic levels, I am pretty fed up with it.

Even with the big skimmer and turf scrubber, I have so much bio load I cannot get phosphates below .2 but using GFO for phosphates and purigen for everything else, I get the levels down to .02 where SPS corals like it. Kind of a belt and suspenders approach. Natural methods first with chemical filtration catching what's left.
Old 02-27-2013, 06:08 PM   #104
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote View Post
Have been using the Lifegard fluidized filter with purigen for a week now as per the Youtube video. First, it doesn't tumble like it does in the video. After considerable fiddling, I can get it to work okay, but all the lighter purigen particles are now in the frag tank. I even made a floss post filter to try and catch them but they are elusive. Will siphon them out but don't think they are causing any damage. I had the same problem with the BSR dual reactor, the finer purigen particles would clog the foam pads within hours. While I like regenerating purigen and it does lower organic levels, I am pretty fed up with it.

Even with the big skimmer and turf scrubber, I have so much bio load I cannot get phosphates below .2 but using GFO and purigen I get the levels down to .02 where SPS corals like it. Kind of a belt and suspenders approach. Natural methods first with chemical filtration catching what's left.
I had the same reaction with the brs dual reactor clogging the foam pads too,..I'm currently using my reef octopus bio pellet reactor with a combo of gfo and carbon and no clogs
Old 02-27-2013, 06:12 PM   #105
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

New pics from a few minutes ago.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-541003107.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	169.3 KB
ID:	155698   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2087597268.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	177.2 KB
ID:	155699  

Name:	image-1881868294.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	163.6 KB
ID:	155700   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2963748123.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	194.3 KB
ID:	155701  

Name:	image-4284172267.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	128.9 KB
ID:	155702  
Old 03-01-2013, 05:49 PM   #106
Aquarium Advice Addict

Purigen doesn't need to tumble at all to do it's job. If you reduce the flow to keep it settled it would be a much better way to go. People apply tumbling to media that doesn't benefit the media. As long as you have water flow through the Purigen you'll get the results you're looking for without any of the hassle. The slight increase in flow that keeps it suspended is causing the mess, not the media. Tumbling is great for keeping GFO from turning into a mud ball. Purigen will never compact like that anyway. If you really want high flow through the fluidized bed filter you can always run it in a bag and crank the flow up as much as you like. Just because other media can't be run in a bag inside of a reactor doesn't mean Purigen shouldn't.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:17 PM   #107
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Good point. It doesn't work well in the BRS reactor either. Bagging it may be the way to go long term. It does develop a film on the particles that causes mine to clump together, that's why I thought keeping it suspended would be more efficient than laying a bag of it in the sump.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:05 PM   #108
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well, it's always more fun to try out an idea. They say nothing ventured nothing gained.

With enough flow, running it in a bag inside the FBF just might give it enough movement to keep it from clumping. I've never had it clump on me in any of the many many tanks I've used it in, but you aren't the first person to say it does that. I believe it's more common in tanks that use a good bit of calcium additions like kalk or two part. I could be off about this but I suspect calcium or carbonate precipitation binding. That's just wild speculation on my part.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:14 PM   #109
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

No, that makes sense. Regenerating it with bleach does release this attraction so that is why I guessed the film was organic.
Old 03-06-2013, 07:49 PM   #110
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Once this filter settled in, it's doing a great job of tumbling the purigen and keeping it from clumping up.

Tags
algae, rubbing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com