Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-26-2013, 06:21 PM   #131
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Thanks...I agree, when everything is growing I feel that at least that corner of my world is as it should be. I am putting more effort in, probably more since I set this reef up over 20 years ago. It is at one of its high points, maybe better than it ever has been. I am getting soft corals, LPS and SPS corals all growing together. They set up their own boundaries and it is amazing to see them protect their territories.

Old 03-26-2013, 10:58 PM   #132
Aquarium Advice Freak

Your tank deserves an award. The mushroom growth is crazy! I can't usually find shrooms like yours. Does it take long for them to multiply?

Old 03-27-2013, 01:49 AM   #133
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

It took several years and they are still multiplying.

Thanks for the kind words!
Old 04-01-2013, 07:09 PM   #134
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

My kind wife buys heads of Romain lettuce for my fish. I alternate it with sheets of dried nori and make sure they chow down daily on their greens. I have noticed all the wrasses and dwarf angelfish also eat the romain lettuce. The clown fish and gobies ignore it. I had heard it was best to flash freeze the lettuce before feeding to soften it up, but frankly, my tangs seem to like tearing it up freshly rinsed out of the fridge. It may make the lettuce more digestible, but so far these are the fattest tangs in existence, so I guess it's all good.
Old 04-05-2013, 04:56 PM   #135
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Okay, have had the RapidLED Onyx lights for a few weeks now. First impressions:

The colors are nicer to look at compared to a straight blue/white panel. Not sure it affected my corals in any major way, but polyp extension and coloration does look visibly better I think.

The 60 degree lenses focus a lot of PAR and create a nice shimmer, but there is a slight rainbow effect in the shadows that is noticeable. Comes with using fewer high power emitters any having narrow beam lenses.

All in all, I am happy with them even though dimable Chinese panels are available for less money. The build quality is there and I enjoy the warmer color temperature.
Old 04-06-2013, 12:15 AM   #136
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Went to the LFS today and for some reason my normally rational mind went blank as I saw a 3" long blue jaw trigger that was fat as a toad. He was so peaceful he was easily hand caught and put in my bag before I knew it. And yes, I goggled the heck out of the little guy and yes I read every possible answer to the question of the triggers safety. Bought him anyway. I have too much coral, so I can stop him before he does too much damage, that is if he goes after any corals. The wrasses already worked the invertebrate population down to almost zero. No shrimp. So we will see. I may have to get my trusty fish trap out if this doesn't go well. And yes, I have a screen on the top of the tank openings.
Old 04-14-2013, 02:10 AM   #137
Aquarium Advice Addict

No comment on the trigger although I had a thought about the rainbow effect from your light. Do you think it would help if you removed the lenses only on the colored lights? You'd still get plenty of PAR from the blue and white (with lenses) but the red, green and violet may mix into the tank better, seeing as there's so few of them. I haven't tried out anything like that but it's just a thought.
Old 04-14-2013, 03:54 AM   #138
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Since its over my frag tank I don't care too much. But I will probably try the 90 degree lenses next.
Old 11-01-2013, 10:03 PM   #139
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Haven't posted in this thread for a while. Over the past two years the red (brisillis)sp algae has been taken over by chaeto and some of that grape like green ball algae (volaria)so pardon my spelling. I hate this stuff normally, but it comes away in big handfuls without breaking and into the trash it goes with whatever nutrients it used to grow.
Old 11-19-2013, 02:03 AM   #140
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

The new office tank is a green fur ball. I forgot how ugly the first weeks of a new salt tank can be. All part of the process, but someone who didn't know what's happening next would be pretty discouraged.

Tags
algae, rubbing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com