the purpose of a 3rd baffle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kukki

Aquarium Advice Regular
i see some people with a 3 baffle setup in their sumps.. after the overflow line there is the first baffle, which is of course to force bubbles or whatever might find its way there.. up

and then the 2nd that is an inch or so up above the bottom of the tank to stop bubbles or whatever... from passing by and finding their way either to the skimmer or return pump or whatever you may have

but i see some with a 3rd, that is also against the bottom like the first ..... whats the purpose of it? to stop things from maybe making their way back across somehow?

id like to know before i add mine to my sump / fuge so i can get it all done at the same time if i find out i like the 3 idea :)

The purpose of the three baffle system is to act as a "Bubble Trap" primarily. I built my first couple sumps with three baffle systems and still had bubbles because I put the traps too close to either the return or overflow area. I do like a 3 baffle setup if your going to put a fuge on the other side of the third baffle though because it will keep the flow from bashing into your fuge and keep the micro fauna away from the skimmer and other equipment.

Back
Top Bottom