The refugium I made is the greatest and up and running!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
6.75 x18 x48= ~25.24g. The skimmer that came with it was not the greatest and that is why I asked the capt for the modifications to it. I rebored the venturi, added a down spout to bring the water to the bottom of the skimmer. I added a couple of elbows to channel the water into a spiral to give the bubbles max hang time. I also added a diffuser plate and now I have tons of micro bubbles inside the skimmer. I had a problem with microbubbles escaping, but that was just a matter of adjusting the length of the downspout and making sure no bubbles where coming from the connections. So thanks for the good links.
The water is returned my means of a Rio 2100 pump.

Interesting.. You have more rock in your 24g sump than you do in the 65g main? Never would have thought it looking at your pics.
Yes,the sump has lots of smaller LR's but the volume is much greater then in the DT. In some chambers I have the rock coming all the way to the surface.

Did you make the diffuser plate? I read the link, pretty interesting. Would like to see a pic of how you built the diffuser.

CS, I made a 1/8" acrylic coverplate for my skimmer to cut down on saltcreep. I bought a 3" hole saw to cut the hole so the insump skimmer would fit through it. I used the cutoff hole and filed it down to slide into the skimmer body. I then layed out and drilled 3/32" holes to make my diffuser. I adjusted the diffuser up and down until I got the best and tinest bubbles. The skimmer really works nicely and makes lots of skimmate.
I bought a 3/8"x1/2" PVC elbow and channeled the venturi airflow down below the diffuser plate with another elbow to channel the air upward through the diffuser and adjusted the amount of air with a top grade airvalve. The way my skimmer hooks up is a real bear, so I won't take it out to get some photos until it's time to really give it a good cleaning. I will try to draw you a diagram of it.

Back
Top Bottom