the right heater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Yao

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm trying to figure out the right temp for my fish. For a while it was at 80/82+, but I was afraid the fish weren't getting enough oxygen, so I'm trying to maintain it at 78. I have a separate thermometer for the temp but my heater just has a high and low dial. It's really hard to get the temp to be completely consistent, and I feel like it gets a little colder at night. Is it better to maintain it at a higher temp or a lower temp? Should I try a better thermometer? Is there a trick to how to do this without making me paranoid and having to check and adjust the thermometer ALL the time?

the heater should be fine.. most tropical fish should do well at 78 degrees F.
I would never trust any heater to maintain the temperature without me checking the thermometer at least at feeding time.. once you get your heater dialed in its the same has having a fancy heater.. I say as long as your heater has 5watts per gallon you should keep it and save your money for a digital thermometer that will set off an alarm when the temperature is too far off, if the temperature is concerning you alot.. HTH

Back
Top Bottom