The sump is filling faster than the the pump can empty it

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ukdan

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok... i've had my aquarium (240l) running for about 2 months and decided to add a sump. Built the sump (25l) and added it today.
The sump is filling faster than the the pump can empty it! I'm no plumber and have no idea where to start. Can anyone help?!

Bigger pump or a ball valve to regulate how much water comes down to the sump. Moving this to the General Hardware and equipment discussion.

Bigger pump is the better solution. A friend of mine who's an engineer told me not to restrict the flow coming from the tank. You can after the bulkhead or after the pump.

I agree with what iDreamInSaltwater and melosu58 said. You'll need a stronger pump or smaller overflow tubing. Adding a PVC ball valve to your return line is another option.

I actually have 3 ball valves on mine 1 on the over flow 1 on the return and 1 on a diversion line back to the sump this allows alot of adjustment and lets you get the waterflow more closely matched

A very temporary solution is to put a hose clamp around the tubing coming from tank to pump and tighten it in the manner you'd use a ball valve. Until you can get out and buy a ball valve.

I have both on mine. I have two return pumps on mine. A mag twelve and a mag 9.5 in my sump. I have a ball valve that controls how much water is emptied into the sump.

I really don't have much to add but I am curious, what kind of pump do you have on there now? What kind of piping? I have heard of people putting too small of return piping on and that was restricting the pump.

Back
Top Bottom