The which filter(s) do you have and what's in them thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Coryluv

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just got a new canister filter and I've been reading a lot of filter threads lately. I thought it would be interesting to start a thread where we can share which filter(s) we have and what media we put in them.

It can also be informative for newcomers who are just learning. There seems of be a lot of what can I put in my filter type questions out there.

Please mention the model/brand of filter and the size tank you have it or them on.

I'll go first. I have a 29 gallon tank that has two filters on it at his time.

In my Aquaclear 50 HOB I have from bottom to top, the foam block that came with it, two layers of Marineland bonded filter material cut to size, a small media bag of peat (about 2-3 Tbsp replaced monthly not to significantly change the pH, but I like having a little tannin in my SA tank) and the ceramic bio pellets that came with it on top.

In the Fluval 206 canister I have the foam in the frame. In the media trays I have the bio foam that came with in the bottom, in the middle I have biomax ceramic rings -- both what came with and extra I bought to fill the tray completely (what came with barely covered the bottom). In the top tray I have the finishing pad that came with and two pieces of the Marineland bonded filter material cut to size (which can be used to seed a HOB). I eventually plan to put the peat from the HOB in the canister in the top tray, too.

I don't use carbon except to remove meds and I use my media until it's falling apart.

I look forward to learning more about our various filters and what we all are using in them.

Last edited:
Hello Cory,

I will contribute! I am running, on my 60 gallon fancy goldfish tank, an Aqueon QuietFlow 55 with the two Aqueon carbon floss cartridges and a Hagen AquaClear 110 with the foam/sponge block on bottom, a 100ml pack of Seachem Purigen on top of that and two sacks of BioMax pellets for the top layer...(y)

Thanks for sharing that Artesiawells. That's a great strategy for keeping your goldfish clean and healthy!

On my 56 gallon FW:
2 Penguin 200s with Seachem Purigen, Seachem Matrix, filter floss and a 50 micron pad.

On my 20 gallon nano SW:
Penguin 150 with filter floss, 50 micron pad and Seachem Purigen

Aquaclear 70 with foam pad, bag of carbon (replenished every 1-2 months), a piece of live rock, and soon to be bag of GFO. Also my thermometer is hiding in the filter :p

Aquaclear 70 with foam pad, bag of carbon (replenished every 1-2 months), a piece of live rock, and soon to be bag of GFO. Also my thermometer is hiding in the filter :p

Very cool. Just two questions. What is GFO and how/where did you hide your thermometer?

GFO is granular ferrous oxide, a phosphate remover. Chemipure Elite or Seachem Phosguard do the same and don't require a reactor.

On my 36g im running 2 - AC 70's. From bottom up its poly-fil, AC sponge, and bio pellets they came with.

On my 20g L im running an aqueon 30 with a AC 70 bag of carbon and a big sponge to lower water flow and a sponge on the intake.
Also running a Marina s10 with an AC sponge and the bio pellet pack it came with

I'm running Azoo Mignon 60 and Mignon 150 filters; called Palm filters in most places.

The 60 comes with an intake prefilter sponge and on the 150 I used the Fluval Edge pre-filter sponge #1. Both Azoo filters have adjustable intake flow regulators and pickup tube extensions; and both filters use the same motor.

I have setup each filter using only one of the 2 foam inserts Azoo supplies along with a bag of AQ BioMax 20 ceramics topped off by an AQ BioFoam 30 foam block cut to size.
20130821_064758.jpg

Measuring temperature
I also hid a digital thermo in my filter's pickup chamber, the lid fits right over the wire
20130826_184705.jpg

And I just suction cupped the thermo to the side of the filter so it's all "self contained" for cleanings.
20130826_184639.jpg

I have the Azoo 60 on our 2G tanks, up to 3G, and the 150 on our 6G. The 60 and 150 stand for Liters per Hour. These are small filters.

Last edited:
Thanks dmolavi! Very nice jwh0818. Thanks for the pics octanejunkie. What a beautiful filter. Very cool on the thermometer. I never thought of that!

Back
Top Bottom