Thermometer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JackBlasto

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm looking for a quality thermometer. What do you guys use? Every thermometer I have seen Bulkreefsupply, marine depot, amazon the criticisms are not great for accuracy, use as a backup thermometer... So what the heck is everyone using for an accurate thermometer? I have a digital coral life that is seemingly going berserk giving me weird readings all over the place. I really need an accurate thermometer so I can quit stressing.

To point out why this is extremely frustrating... I have two float thermometers that are the cheapo Walmart float in your tank things... Well the readings are about 5 degrees apart floating side by side. Then I have the coral life digital that is somewhere in between those two but fluctuates quite a bit maybe because the batteries are getting old. Regardless, I have nothing stable out of three thermometers and don't even know what to believe anymore. I really would like something reliable.

After some quick reading on google it appears this is a common situation and its just accepted. Well my tanks a planted discus tank and I think the difference between 86 degrees and 90 is pretty big and is not acceptable. I mean plants are going to melt at higher temps, etc so I really need accuracy. Did I mention that I have 3 eheim heaters in the tank all set the same and sitting side by side and they go off and on with reliably inaccurate readings as well? I know they're able to be fine tuned but I've yet to be able to fine tune them all to actually go off and on at the same temperature so apparently inconsistency in temperature ain't too big of a deal or else this wouldn't be an issue.

I'm looking at food grade ones I guess based on other people with similar complaints. So far this seems good

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000LDE0QQ/ref=aw_d_dsc_industrial?qid=1377380118&sr=1-2

Nice! Got it today... Calibrates with ice and then you can test it with water at boiling point. All my thermometers were off but at least now I know by how much. $20 well spent :)

Attachments

• image-3870240016.jpg
    image-3870240016.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 71
Back
Top Bottom