Thermometer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hb3133

Aquarium Advice Activist
The thermometer that came with the tank is a stick-on. Should I upgrade? If so, any recommendations?

i usually use stick on. this far... when i do my like siphoning i can feel the water. sometimes the stick ons dont work very well, but i use them as like guideline

I have a stick on and a suction cup thermometer. For the most part the stick on reads right along with the one in the tank. I have heard (but not seen) that the stick-on's could and will go out with out a warning. The stick on was on the tank when I got it, other wise I would not have used that type. I just sort of like the old type I think they work better IMO.

stick ons can be inaccurate or can become inaccurate.. glass ones are cheap and very accurate and digitals are another accurate yet more expensive option..

by the way.. if you have fish that are likely to break glass then I would get a digital one.. Im talking about fairly aggressive fish like oscars..

Digitals are cheap and the most accurate. They are around $6 and last a long time. The stick on ones will give you the temp of the glass, not the water. The ones on the inside are better, but can be broken in the tank. That's why I've opted for the digitals on all of my tanks.

Thanks FF I havent been thermometer shopping in a long time.. I had no idea digitals were so cheap now.. last time I checked they were around $30! 8O

I have a digital and a suction thermometer for my 75 gal. The digital is on the outside with a small tube that goes into the tank.

The reason that stick ons aren't very accurate is due to the fact that it can and will read the temp directly outside the tank...try it...breathe onto the glass where the thermometer is for awhile. Amazing!

Fishyfanatic said:
http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=29481;category_id=1615;pcid1=3231;pcid2=

Man, I just placed an order with BigAls an hour ago! Now I am going to have to beg them to add that thermo to my order, I would really like it, especially for that price. Just in case they won't, you guys seen any similar ones on Ebay?

THey should Tony. I had them change an order three times for me and there was no problems whatsoever. The girl was very nice and wasn't bothered at all by it. :D

Fishyfanatic said:
THey should Tony. I had them change an order three times for me and there was no problems whatsoever. The girl was very nice and wasn't bothered at all by it. :D

They made me cancel my whole order, and them place a whole new one. Not too big of a hassle, but they should really work on their customer service. Heck, I'll still come back everytime because they have the best stuff at the best prices, but I had one really bad experience with their CS that almost had me switching stores. And that VIP system needs to come down from 500 points!

If you purchase on (I believe) Wednesdays, you get double points. So if you save your orders until Wednesday, you only need 250 points. :D

They did have to cancel the whole order with me also, but like you said, it wasn't a big deal. At least you don't have to pay shipping for JUST the thermometer. :D

Back
Top Bottom