Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-23-2010, 07:34 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thermometer reading vs. Heater reading?

I have a 55 gallon FW tank. Right now I have 2 kissing gourami, a featherfin catfish & an electric blue jack dempsey. Their temperature range is upper 70's.

I have 2 thermometers, one at each end of the tank. They both read around 82 degrees. My Marineland 300 watt heater is set to 76-77 degrees and the thermometer attached to it actually reads about 75 degrees.

Which reading do I take as fact? What's going on here?

Old 04-23-2010, 08:05 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

If the thermometers at the ends of the tank are submersible then I would say they the thermometers are right and your heater is toast. I would get 2 new ones... 150W because it's always safer to have 2 150w then 1 300w (if one fails then there is still heat... and if it fails the way you are saying then it's harder for it to cook your fish)

Greenmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 08:09 PM   #3
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

alot of times, heaters and thermometers dont read the same. mine is that way. i have a 300w marineland stealth pro in my 150g... i have the heater set on 76 but the temp of my tank is always 78. I'd say go off the two on the sides, and if it's consistent, dont worry about it

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 08:18 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ya you could go that approach... turn your heater down a few degrees and monitor the temps closely.
Old 04-23-2010, 08:24 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

The heater shouldn't be broken, it's only about a month old.

Well if the thermometers are correct & the heater's reading is wrong, then I should turn down the heater even more? Right now the heater is set to 76 & the thermometers read 81, so if I lower the heater to 74 or so, my temeprature should be about right.
Old 04-23-2010, 08:37 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

As long as it's not the sticky thermometers that are on the outside of the tank I would go with the thermometers. I would turn it down and watch temps closely, but first we should see if maybe it's something else that is the problem.
How is your water circulation?
What do you have for lights/other things that could heat the tank?
Is your tank close to a heat vent or a baseboard heater?
What is the temp of the room?
Is the tank near a sunny window?
Is there anything else that might affect the temperature?
Old 04-23-2010, 09:02 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

They are two regular glass thermometers.

I have undergravel filter trays with two powerheads attached to the up-tubes. I have the powerheads pointed to spray from the corners towards the center of the tank.

I have a few plants in the tank, just some low-mid light things, so I keep the hood lamp on for around 6-8 hours a day. It's just the basic Marineland hood and bulb to fit across the 4 ft length.

Vents and windows are not near it. Room temp is low 70's.
Old 04-23-2010, 09:57 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

sadly it seems the quility of the Marineland heaters been slipping. i know of a bunch of people with problems with them. go with the glass thermometers.
Old 04-24-2010, 04:23 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

But for now if you don't have the money (or don't want to spend it) I would go with mfdrookie561's suggestion and just turn the heater down 2-6 degrees till your thermometers read the temp that you would like in your tank.
Old 04-24-2010, 12:20 PM   #10
Great white snark

Tank of the Month Award

Or just go to Walmart and pick up a thermometer for very cheap. The glass ones are about 1.99.

AA ToS
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/misc.php?do=sknetwork&page=tos
DragonFish71 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eat, eater, heater, thermometer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com