Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-22-2010, 07:44 PM   #1
AA Team Emeritus

Thermometers - Mercury vs. Digital TESTED

Some of you may remember my post about the temp difference I was seeing between my mercury thermometers and my digital ones.

I have a lab grade mercury thermo and a cheap plastic one for a tank. Both of them agree on the temperature of a water sample. I have a controller for my heaters and a digital readout on one of the heaters (separate controller).

Both of the digitals read 2 degrees higher than the mercury based thermometers. So which one is correct?

I work at a pharmaceutical company so I asked our metrology department to test one of each of my thermometers. They have a temperature calibrated incubator with a thermometer inside and a canister of some aqueous solution which is used for calibrating thermometers used in manufacturing.

The results PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well after a careful test of both my digital hand held and my lab grade mercury thermometers, it turns out that the mercury thermometer agrees to the tenth of a degree with the test equipment. The digital reads 2 degrees higher.

So my tank that never varies from 79 degrees is actually a very stable 77 degrees.

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 08:07 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

also not all digital thermometers are equal. i know the coralife ones are known to be off.... i have 3 of them i got with tanks and other stuff. each one will read a different temp.

Old 06-22-2010, 08:18 PM   #3
Sliced Bread

Ive gone away from the digital ones for the same reason - they're too inaccurate.
Old 06-23-2010, 10:21 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Is the accuracy really that critical?

As long as the thermometer is close to accurate and the water temperature remains steady and within the safe range, I'm happy.
Old 06-23-2010, 05:56 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

It's the safety margin when temps get close to critical (either way).

I have the Pinpoint remote thermometer with 3 units and all three show differnent temps. Anyone want to buy them cheap?
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
meters, thermometer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com