Thermostat controller vs heater without it.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

10Gallon

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've noticed when using a heater without a thermostat controller, the temp fluctuates more. In my 10G, with the Aqueon 50 watt, the temp would go up and down about 3-3.5 deg every couple of hours. Other heaters I've used were like that maybe not quite as bad, though. I got a Finnex analog controller and with that heater the tank stays within a degree. Why does this happen?

Either the tank gets exposed to temps too cold for the heater to keep up or the heaters are undersized or crap ? I only use Aqueon Pros and have no issue with any of my tanks . I keep several at 86f ! I have over 30 of them . They have lifetime replacement guarantee so I wonder why others buy different heaters. I know many people who have got a free heater from Aqueon by just emailing them when there heater died ...The preset heaters are no good IMO especially if you have a tank 10g or bigger as it does not have any way to account for tank volume.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...df.pdf?la=en&usg=AOvVaw02bPgvYtYyYMVHePKPEjEJ
There is a page in the directions above that will tell you how much an Aqueon pro can raise the tank temp above an average room temp of 68-72 by size of tank and heater.
It is the most useful way to know what size heater you really need.
I by all my heaters on line usually from amazon or Ebay for well under 1/2 the price stores sell them for .

I know it's not that the heater is undersized because the same heater performs well when used with the controller.

Back
Top Bottom