Thermostat - In sump or DT?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dmolavi

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have my heaters controlled by a Ranco ETC. Should I put it's thermocouple in the sump, where the heaters are, or in the display? I currently have it in the display, but I'm wondering what other people think about this, and why.

I don't have controllers for my heater but I do have it in the sump , I find it easier to access if I need to . plus it isn't in display looking ugly

My heaters are in the sump...but for those that use controllers, I'm curious as to if it's better to have the probe in sump or in the tank.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I don't think it matters as the water is always flowing into sump than back to the tank
in a rotational pattern
images

even though its 2 tanks they are connected flowing the same water in and out making 1 body of water , so the water should always be the same temp

like I said above my heater is in the sump and and haven't had any issue with fluctuation in my temp , it stays a steady 80*

Last edited:
Mine was in the sump when I had my 125 but I had to sell it and back to my 55 gallon tank so it is back in the DT. Sorry can't answer question about the control part never used one of those for the heater.

Back
Top Bottom