These moonlight projects.. is the light spectrum right?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flanque

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello,

Just considoring the variables here, since I would like to do a moonlight set up for my tank also, is the light spectrum appropriate for our aquariums?

What part of the spectrum do these "blue LEDs" exist in and is that suitable for our beloved friends?

Blue LEDs between 470-480nm is what matches real moonlight best I have heard. I have them in my tank and my fish don't seem to mind it. To be safe, it's positioned so only 3/4 of the tank gets the light so if any of the fish don't like it, there's always somewhere dark to go.

Hmmm... would any of my fellow Australians know where I might be able to locate such LEDs? I went to the local Dick Smith but they didn't have any. ;_;

Hmm. I'm no saltwater person at all, but I'm pretty sure moonlights are perfectly safe. They just can't be your primary lighting. OBVIOUSLY :mrgreen: I just think of them as night lights for my fish. I have them on my FW tank. And on FW they do nothing.
But I am a photographer . . . and the blue-ish spectrum that the moonlights give off are no where near actual moonlight. Last time I measured the moon I got 4,600K. Daylight is 5,600K (at Noon in Washington D.C. according to Sony). During sunrise I have measured a 3.8 (3,800K). Sunset and evening climbs up to as high as 9,000K. My moonlights (and any others I have seen) look to be WELL above that. I have never measured them though. I think the moonlight's color are meant to simulate the perceived blue that everybody thinks the moon gives off. But actually the moon is reflected daylight, so it would always be around 5.6K degrees Kelvin. The dust on the moon just lowers it a bit giving you a 4.6 measurement.
I just think moonlights are cool. And back to saltwater, (remember I am NOT a saltwater person) I have heard that the spectrum they give out can be healthy for coral life. I guess it gives them a little bit to use during the night when you don't have your main lights on.

Back
Top Bottom