Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-08-2013, 10:13 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
shady3210 For hanging here is another option I saw on RC that does take a little DIY but not as bad as building an entire hood. It is about half way down that page. Looked like a good idea for your situation and everything is available at HD or lowes.
Chinese LED Lights - Page 88 - Reef Central Online Community

That is also a good thread for you to read through.
Thanks for that. I've been skimming through some to get ideas on the mounting and found some ideas I like and will just need to look into more to see whats best for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
The RC thread has people believing you need the colored LEDs along with the blues and whites- this is not true.
As I've stated about 20 times in this thread, I use the straight blue/white fixtures and they grow and color up coral just fine.
Others here have been using them for longer than I have with the same results.

As for my statement about the 1 watters, I was referring to the Marineland fixture.
I wasn't concerned about any besides the blue and white. I have to say I didn't really pay attention to that portion of the RC thread. I have, however, read through a thread on this site titled something along the lines of "Lighting-Best Bang for your Buck" or something. From that I understood the coloreds weren't of any significance and wasn't a worry of mine.

Okay, I thought those were the only lights linked that were the 1watt but wasn't sure if maybe I had overlooked something on the aqLed site I had posted a link to.

Old 02-08-2013, 10:16 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Oops....not this thread- the other thread. "best bang for your buck". ....You know what i meant..

Old 02-08-2013, 10:30 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Oops....not this thread- the other thread. "best bang for your buck". ....You know what i meant..
Haha, yes I figured that was what you meant. Especially having read through that thread and all..

Since nothing has been mentioned yet about the lights from aqLed and I don't remember reading a whole lot about what is offered from that site in that thread.
If you don't mind me asking, since you certainly seem to know about lights, what is your opinion of them and/or do you have any experience with those fixtures? Also, any suggestions on what I could get away with for my tank and stocking from that site?
Old 02-08-2013, 10:54 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
I have no experience with these fixtures, but I do like his input on that thread. He was helpful and impartial IMO.
The "Taotronics" or similar have been working well for me, and my LED experience is limited to various units like those.
AQ offers PAR numbers on his fixtures, and a lot more functionality. If I wanted the extra options, I would consider his stuff.
That's the best I can tell you.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:06 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
I have no experience with these fixtures, but I do like his input on that thread. He was helpful and impartial IMO.
The "Taotronics" or similar have been working well for me, and my LED experience is limited to various units like those.
AQ offers PAR numbers on his fixtures, and a lot more functionality. If I wanted the extra options, I would consider his stuff.
That's the best I can tell you.
Thank you.

Extra options aren't something I'm too terribly worried about, especially when some of those extra options come with a nice price tag. Well I did want the option to dim but thats about it, just in case and for easier acclimation since it isn't much a price difference for that feature. I definitely want to get a good quality light and know I'll be set for what I'll want to keep, thats what determines the amount I want to and will spend.

Since I'm still fairly new to this hobby and am certainly still learning I wanted to make sure there wasn't anything I may have overlooked when comparing any LED fixtures. I'd hate to make an avoidable mistake it and cost me, especially since the LEDs will be the second investment I make in lights in a short amount of time.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:54 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda_marie View Post
Thank you.

Extra options aren't something I'm too terribly worried about, especially when some of those extra options come with a nice price tag. Well I did want the option to dim but thats about it, just in case and for easier acclimation since it isn't much a price difference for that feature. I definitely want to get a good quality light and know I'll be set for what I'll want to keep, thats what determines the amount I want to and will spend.

Since I'm still fairly new to this hobby and am certainly still learning I wanted to make sure there wasn't anything I may have overlooked when comparing any LED fixtures. I'd hate to make an avoidable mistake it and cost me, especially since the LEDs will be the second investment I make in lights in a short amount of time.

Sounds like your doing your research! I'd recommend the reefbreeder value units again. You can have them take the reds and greens out if you'd like(although personally I think they bring out the colors of corals a bit). The 2 year warranty is great and covers shipping 2 and from them. I use one of their 32" controllable units and love it.

Tags
led, upgrading

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com