Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-06-2013, 08:03 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thinking of upgrading to LEDs

Right now my lighting consists of a 4x54w bulb T5HO fixture with two 10ks and two actinics. I'm not having any issues with the fixture but with there being more affordable options with LEDs now, I'd like to upgrade.

I don't intend to keep SPS, just softies and LPS, but I know if I changed my mind I would be able to no problem with the LED fixtures I'm considering. I know it will also save me in the long run, with both energy costs and bulb replacements.

I've read through threads here and have really began looking into LED lighting recently. I still am having a hard time deciding on what is best for me, both with cost and for my tank. I'm hoping I can have a few questions answered that will help me make my choice.

My tank is a 60 gallon; 12"deep x 24"tall x 48"long

So based on my reading these two sources/lights seem like the best option.

TaoTronics TT AL09 Dimmable Coral Reef Tank Light LED Aquarium Light 120W 55 3W | eBay

aQ.Simple

On with the questions..

With the TaoTronics, I'm assuming I'd need two for my tank, right? It'd certainly be great if one was able to work but with the length I'd think two would be required.

Also, with these lights I know its common to hang them. I would really rather not hang them if possible for a number of reasons. Are there other options?

Onto the second link, I'm not sure which lighting fixture here would be best and what would be needed for my tank. I want to be able to grow softies and LPS no problem, not worried about anemones, clams, or SPS though. With all of the options on this site I'm just really not sure what I should be looking for exactly . I really like that these can be placed on the aquarium, from my understanding they have the legs/stand for this.

Also, I don't mind spending the money to be able to upgrade but still don't want to go overboard. So obviously, cheaper (without loosing quality) is better.

Old 02-07-2013, 12:22 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Either will be fine for what your looking for. You will need 2 of either for your tank. I'd also look at reefbreeders.com the value series is similar to the taotronic but comes with a 2 year US warranty.

reefbreeders

This may also interest you and be your best option!

aQ.Simple 72W LED Sale(with free shipping)

You really can't go wrong with either.

Old 02-07-2013, 01:36 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

We have the same size of tank 60gal. I am using a 48" marineland LED and flexible to 60". My corals and fish seem to be happy with it.

Amazon.com: Marineland 48-Inch to 60-Inch Aquatic Plant LED Light with Timer: Pet Supplies
Old 02-07-2013, 01:42 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ooops this is one I have.

Amazon.com: Marineland LED Double Bright Aquarium Lighting System, For Aquariums 48"-60" Length: Pet Supplies
Old 02-07-2013, 03:05 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Either fixture is fine. That aq has 3watt bulbs which are good but the taotronic/reef breeder led has almost twice the wattage of that one in the second link. For a 48" tank you will need two. If you dont want to hang them, you can build a canopy and saw an opening on the top. Check out the pic of mine. I only have one because its a 36" and even im even insecure with that which is why i have it sitting 9 inches up and added strips. I bought two other led panels for my 48" 90gal that i am just going to screw into the ceiling of the canopy. I prefer mounting the to a canopy so you wont go blind looking at your tank.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3182835119.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	150482
Old 02-07-2013, 04:19 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
I wouldn't go with 1 watt LEDs. Somewhat limiting. The 3 watters are a much better choice.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:10 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Agreed. If you do end up getting a chinese fixture. You should make sure it has 40-50 led bulbs instead of 120 bulbs. Those are usually the 3w bulb panels.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:07 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks to everyone who replied. I really appreciate the input and am feeling better about my choice to upgrade to the LEDS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shady3210 View Post
Either will be fine for what your looking for. You will need 2 of either for your tank. I'd also look at reefbreeders.com the value series is similar to the taotronic but comes with a 2 year US warranty.

reefbreeders

This may also interest you and be your best option!

aQ.Simple 72W LED Sale(with free shipping)

You really can't go wrong with either.
Thanks for the link. I'll check out those as well.

I figured I was going to need to but thought I'd just ask to be sure.

Quote:
jeffaquarius
Ooops this is one I have.

Amazon.com: Marineland LED Double Bright Aquarium Lighting System, For Aquariums 48"-60" Length: Pet Supplies
From everything I had read since looking into LEDs I was under the impression those weren't really suited for a reef tank. It would be nice if they were, the price and all. But I have already purchased one fixture so going to LEDs will be the second time I've put money into lights. I want to make sure I get what I need and won't have to upgrade anymore.

Quote:
LaWoWee
Either fixture is fine. That aq has 3watt bulbs which are good but the taotronic/reef breeder led has almost twice the wattage of that one in the second link. For a 48" tank you will need two. If you dont want to hang them, you can build a canopy and saw an opening on the top. Check out the pic of mine. I only have one because its a 36" and even im even insecure with that which is why i have it sitting 9 inches up and added strips. I bought two other led panels for my 48" 90gal that i am just going to screw into the ceiling of the canopy. I prefer mounting the to a canopy so you wont go blind looking at your tank.

Attachment 150482
I wasn't really meaning to point to any specific light unit in the second link. Just that I was looking into the LEDs offered from there and actually wasn't sure which would be best from there.

I did notice the difference in wattage but wasn't sure if that would make much of a difference especially with what I was wanting to keep in terms of corals.

Thank you for addressing my questions regarding actually setting up the light. I wish I had a canopy as that would be an easy option. I wouldn't feel comfortable building anything like that myself though. That is another great option though.

Quote:
mr_X
I wouldn't go with 1 watt LEDs. Somewhat limiting. The 3 watters are a much better choice.
I believe both links I provided were to 3watt. With what little reading I've done, since I'm just now looking into LEDs, I had understood that 3watts were what was really needed.

I guess my biggest concern is how I'm actually going to set the lights up in terms of mounting/hanging/etc. I was trying to avoid hanging but it looks like that will be the most reasonable. I do have an open top tank and it does have a center brace. After a little more thought I realized just how much of a pain it could get to be to have to move the fixtures and cover each time I needed to get into the tank. I was hoping there would be an option similar to how my T5HO unit is set up using its legs for the support.

I want to cover all my options when it comes to setting up the light and make sure I decide on what is best for me and which will be the least amount of hassle.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:33 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

For hanging here is another option I saw on RC that does take a little DIY but not as bad as building an entire hood. It is about half way down that page. Looked like a good idea for your situation and everything is available at HD or lowes.

Chinese LED Lights - Page 88 - Reef Central Online Community

That is also a good thread for you to read through.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:02 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
The RC thread has people believing you need the colored LEDs along with the blues and whites- this is not true.
As I've stated about 20 times in this thread, I use the straight blue/white fixtures and they grow and color up coral just fine.
Others here have been using them for longer than I have with the same results.

As for my statement about the 1 watters, I was referring to the Marineland fixture.

Tags
led, upgrading

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com