Thinking of upgrading to LEDs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amanda_marie

Aquarium Advice Freak
Right now my lighting consists of a 4x54w bulb T5HO fixture with two 10ks and two actinics. I'm not having any issues with the fixture but with there being more affordable options with LEDs now, I'd like to upgrade.

I don't intend to keep SPS, just softies and LPS, but I know if I changed my mind I would be able to no problem with the LED fixtures I'm considering. I know it will also save me in the long run, with both energy costs and bulb replacements.

I've read through threads here and have really began looking into LED lighting recently. I still am having a hard time deciding on what is best for me, both with cost and for my tank. I'm hoping I can have a few questions answered that will help me make my choice.

My tank is a 60 gallon; 12"deep x 24"tall x 48"long

So based on my reading these two sources/lights seem like the best option.

TaoTronics TT AL09 Dimmable Coral Reef Tank Light LED Aquarium Light 120W 55 3W | eBay

aQ.Simple

On with the questions..

With the TaoTronics, I'm assuming I'd need two for my tank, right? It'd certainly be great if one was able to work but with the length I'd think two would be required.

Also, with these lights I know its common to hang them. I would really rather not hang them if possible for a number of reasons. Are there other options?

Onto the second link, I'm not sure which lighting fixture here would be best and what would be needed for my tank. I want to be able to grow softies and LPS no problem, not worried about anemones, clams, or SPS though. With all of the options on this site I'm just really not sure what I should be looking for exactly . I really like that these can be placed on the aquarium, from my understanding they have the legs/stand for this.

Also, I don't mind spending the money to be able to upgrade but still don't want to go overboard. So obviously, cheaper (without loosing quality) is better.

Either fixture is fine. That aq has 3watt bulbs which are good but the taotronic/reef breeder led has almost twice the wattage of that one in the second link. For a 48" tank you will need two. If you dont want to hang them, you can build a canopy and saw an opening on the top. Check out the pic of mine. I only have one because its a 36" and even im even insecure with that which is why i have it sitting 9 inches up and added strips. I bought two other led panels for my 48" 90gal that i am just going to screw into the ceiling of the canopy. I prefer mounting the to a canopy so you wont go blind looking at your tank.

image-3182835119.jpg

Agreed. If you do end up getting a chinese fixture. You should make sure it has 40-50 led bulbs instead of 120 bulbs. Those are usually the 3w bulb panels.

Thanks to everyone who replied. I really appreciate the input and am feeling better about my choice to upgrade to the LEDS.

Either will be fine for what your looking for. You will need 2 of either for your tank. I'd also look at reefbreeders.com the value series is similar to the taotronic but comes with a 2 year US warranty.

reefbreeders

This may also interest you and be your best option!

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...le-with-free-shipping-245988.html#post2326104

You really can't go wrong with either.

Thanks for the link. I'll check out those as well.

I figured I was going to need to but thought I'd just ask to be sure.

jeffaquarius
Ooops this is one I have.

Amazon.com: Marineland LED Double Bright Aquarium Lighting System, For Aquariums 48"-60" Length: Pet Supplies

From everything I had read since looking into LEDs I was under the impression those weren't really suited for a reef tank. It would be nice if they were, the price and all. But I have already purchased one fixture so going to LEDs will be the second time I've put money into lights. I want to make sure I get what I need and won't have to upgrade anymore.

LaWoWee
Either fixture is fine. That aq has 3watt bulbs which are good but the taotronic/reef breeder led has almost twice the wattage of that one in the second link. For a 48" tank you will need two. If you dont want to hang them, you can build a canopy and saw an opening on the top. Check out the pic of mine. I only have one because its a 36" and even im even insecure with that which is why i have it sitting 9 inches up and added strips. I bought two other led panels for my 48" 90gal that i am just going to screw into the ceiling of the canopy. I prefer mounting the to a canopy so you wont go blind looking at your tank.

Attachment 150482

I wasn't really meaning to point to any specific light unit in the second link. Just that I was looking into the LEDs offered from there and actually wasn't sure which would be best from there.

I did notice the difference in wattage but wasn't sure if that would make much of a difference especially with what I was wanting to keep in terms of corals.

Thank you for addressing my questions regarding actually setting up the light. I wish I had a canopy as that would be an easy option. I wouldn't feel comfortable building anything like that myself though. That is another great option though.

mr_X
I wouldn't go with 1 watt LEDs. Somewhat limiting. The 3 watters are a much better choice.

I believe both links I provided were to 3watt. With what little reading I've done, since I'm just now looking into LEDs, I had understood that 3watts were what was really needed.

I guess my biggest concern is how I'm actually going to set the lights up in terms of mounting/hanging/etc. I was trying to avoid hanging but it looks like that will be the most reasonable. I do have an open top tank and it does have a center brace. After a little more thought I realized just how much of a pain it could get to be to have to move the fixtures and cover each time I needed to get into the tank. I was hoping there would be an option similar to how my T5HO unit is set up using its legs for the support.

I want to cover all my options when it comes to setting up the light and make sure I decide on what is best for me and which will be the least amount of hassle.

The RC thread has people believing you need the colored LEDs along with the blues and whites- this is not true.
As I've stated about 20 times in this thread, I use the straight blue/white fixtures and they grow and color up coral just fine.
Others here have been using them for longer than I have with the same results.

As for my statement about the 1 watters, I was referring to the Marineland fixture.

shady3210 For hanging here is another option I saw on RC that does take a little DIY but not as bad as building an entire hood. It is about half way down that page. Looked like a good idea for your situation and everything is available at HD or lowes.
Chinese LED Lights - Page 88 - Reef Central Online Community

That is also a good thread for you to read through.

Thanks for that. I've been skimming through some to get ideas on the mounting and found some ideas I like and will just need to look into more to see whats best for me.

The RC thread has people believing you need the colored LEDs along with the blues and whites- this is not true.
As I've stated about 20 times in this thread, I use the straight blue/white fixtures and they grow and color up coral just fine.
Others here have been using them for longer than I have with the same results.

As for my statement about the 1 watters, I was referring to the Marineland fixture.

I wasn't concerned about any besides the blue and white. I have to say I didn't really pay attention to that portion of the RC thread. I have, however, read through a thread on this site titled something along the lines of "Lighting-Best Bang for your Buck" or something. From that I understood the coloreds weren't of any significance and wasn't a worry of mine.

Okay, I thought those were the only lights linked that were the 1watt but wasn't sure if maybe I had overlooked something on the aqLed site I had posted a link to.

Oops....not this thread- the other thread. "best bang for your buck". ....You know what i meant..;)

Haha, yes I figured that was what you meant. Especially having read through that thread and all..

Since nothing has been mentioned yet about the lights from aqLed and I don't remember reading a whole lot about what is offered from that site in that thread.
If you don't mind me asking, since you certainly seem to know about lights, what is your opinion of them and/or do you have any experience with those fixtures? Also, any suggestions on what I could get away with for my tank and stocking from that site?

I have no experience with these fixtures, but I do like his input on that thread. He was helpful and impartial IMO.
The "Taotronics" or similar have been working well for me, and my LED experience is limited to various units like those.
AQ offers PAR numbers on his fixtures, and a lot more functionality. If I wanted the extra options, I would consider his stuff.
That's the best I can tell you.

I have no experience with these fixtures, but I do like his input on that thread. He was helpful and impartial IMO.
The "Taotronics" or similar have been working well for me, and my LED experience is limited to various units like those.
AQ offers PAR numbers on his fixtures, and a lot more functionality. If I wanted the extra options, I would consider his stuff.
That's the best I can tell you.

Thank you.

Extra options aren't something I'm too terribly worried about, especially when some of those extra options come with a nice price tag. Well I did want the option to dim but thats about it, just in case and for easier acclimation since it isn't much a price difference for that feature. I definitely want to get a good quality light and know I'll be set for what I'll want to keep, thats what determines the amount I want to and will spend.

Since I'm still fairly new to this hobby and am certainly still learning I wanted to make sure there wasn't anything I may have overlooked when comparing any LED fixtures. I'd hate to make an avoidable mistake it and cost me, especially since the LEDs will be the second investment I make in lights in a short amount of time.

Thank you.

Extra options aren't something I'm too terribly worried about, especially when some of those extra options come with a nice price tag. Well I did want the option to dim but thats about it, just in case and for easier acclimation since it isn't much a price difference for that feature. I definitely want to get a good quality light and know I'll be set for what I'll want to keep, thats what determines the amount I want to and will spend.

Since I'm still fairly new to this hobby and am certainly still learning I wanted to make sure there wasn't anything I may have overlooked when comparing any LED fixtures. I'd hate to make an avoidable mistake it and cost me, especially since the LEDs will be the second investment I make in lights in a short amount of time.

Sounds like your doing your research! I'd recommend the reefbreeder value units again. You can have them take the reds and greens out if you'd like(although personally I think they bring out the colors of corals a bit). The 2 year warranty is great and covers shipping 2 and from them. I use one of their 32" controllable units and love it.

Back
Top Bottom