This LED light ok?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jingleheimer

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1416260379.250772.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1416260406.029580.jpg

How sufficient is this for reefs?

Normally $230 was on sale for $180 contemplating getting it. IF ITS GOOD?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

No it's a pretty weak light, will limit you to low light softies

Ok good! Saves me the money then haha

I'm not familiar with that particular unit.

I have LED lighting on my Reef and have for a few years now but I built the light myself. LEDs are a topic of debate in the Reef world. Many people will say you have to have certain LEDs with certain wattage per LED. I have 42 3w Cree LEDs on my system and I've had great success with them. Again I built the setup myself. I've never looked at prefab LED units other than the very expensive EcoTech Radions.

Maybe someone here will have had some experience with the light you are looking at.

I'm not familiar with that particular unit.

I have LED lighting on my Reef and have for a few years now but I built the light myself. LEDs are a topic of debate in the Reef world. Many people will say you have to have certain LEDs with certain wattage per LED. I have 42 3w Cree LEDs on my system and I've had great success with them. Again I built the setup myself. I've never looked at prefab LED units other than the very expensive EcoTech Radions.

Maybe someone here will have had some experience with the light you are looking at.

I don't have the cash flow for radions!

Thanks for yalls help!

I have about $200 I want to spend on a light.

Without mentioning the dimensions of the tank this can't be answered very well. I disagree with bigred. As long as its used on a 36inch tank it could easily handle LPS corals maaaaybee some SPS. However since you cannot control the led colors its a bad choice just from that alone. I personally like having blues on for 10 hrs and whites on in the middle for 7 hrs. This light seems to be all on all the time.

If you are really want low cost leds google this: "GU10 LED Build Thread (Chinese Ebay Lights)"

504 LEDs doing 35 watts? That's .07 watts per diode. I would not trust that with anything but extremely low light corals. Here's what I'd get with that budget. http://m.ebay.com/itm/301388959409 or you could do the just blue/white ones as well.

These are my dimensions guys! Maybe this will help out some!!!

36x16x21

Bowfront so 16" at the widest part of the tank

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Using the lights bribo suggested would work. They are hanging lights though and if not hung properly can lead to looking trashy. If you do end up going with those absolutely do not run them at max level at first. Slowly raise light level over a week or 2.

Using the lights bribo suggested would work. They are hanging lights though and if not hung properly can lead to looking trashy. If you do end up going with those absolutely do not run them at max level at first. Slowly raise light level over a week or 2.

+1. They can look pretty ghetto lol.

Without mentioning the dimensions of the tank this can't be answered very well. I disagree with bigred. As long as its used on a 36inch tank it could easily handle LPS corals maaaaybee some SPS. However since you cannot control the led colors its a bad choice just from that alone. I personally like having blues on for 10 hrs and whites on in the middle for 7 hrs. This light seems to be all on all the time.

If you are really want low cost leds google this: "GU10 LED Build Thread (Chinese Ebay Lights)"

Have you personally used those lights? They left shrooms reaching for light in a 10, directly beneath the light too. No way could a single one of those units could support sps.

A pair of par38s from reefkoi could also work for this tank, may not support sps everywhere but with strategic placing you could do it. The lights bribo mentioned are pretty much the best bang for the buck out there, and bent conduit painted matte black looks pretty clean IMO, and is a cheap effective way to mount them.

Do you have a picture of these in use?
So I can get the hanging up picture..

Thanks for all the suggestions guys

Have you personally used those lights? They left shrooms reaching for light in a 10, directly beneath the light too. No way could a single one of those units could support sps.

A pair of par38s from reefkoi could also work for this tank, may not support sps everywhere but with strategic placing you could do it. The lights bribo mentioned are pretty much the best bang for the buck out there, and bent conduit painted matte black looks pretty clean IMO, and is a cheap effective way to mount them.

Do you have a direct link for these reefkoi's?

If I kept my T5 HO 2x39watt lights and just added and medium lighting LED like the marine led's..

Would that work?

Do you have a picture of these in use?
So I can get the hanging up picture..

Thanks for all the suggestions guys

Sorry bro lemme see what I can whip up for you. Are you good with finding wall studs? Cutting 2x4s?

Yeah I can do either haha! Thanks a lot man

So this is a very cheesy ms paint sketch of just hanging one light(your tank will need 2 side by side). The key here is adding a 2x4 centered above the tank to the ceiling so that you can attach the 2x4 to the studs or even 1 stud on the ceiling. Then screw the 2 hooks (hooks sold near screw isle) into the 2x4 where they need to be. 9 times out of 10 your tank isn't going to be center with studs on the ceiling. Some people will be like "whynot use an anchor on the sheetrock". Well I personally don't trust an anchor crammed into sheetrock holding a light above my $$$$ reeftank.

2nd thing. In the chain by the foot area of lowe's there is this metal wire you can buy by the foot. I don't remember the size wire I used on both of my brothers tanks but lets just say its about the size of a headphone cable(maybe a tad smaller). The key to using this wire is the small smashable metal doohickies that provide the ability to make loops at each end of the wire. These are found near the wire in little compartments. Have the lowes person help you locate which ones go to which wire if need be.

Drape towels or plastic over your tank while working on the ceiling. Don't want any yuck in your tank...Paint the 2x4 white if you want to hide it...

Another cheesy ms paint diagram of the wire doohickies.

This diagram only works on ceiling studs running one certain way. If they are running the opposite way you have to mount 2 centered 2x4's perpendicular long enough to catch a stud.

Attachments

• hangoption.jpg
    hangoption.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 61
  • wirethingys.jpg
    wirethingys.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 45
Back
Top Bottom