Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-15-2005, 11:30 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thoughts on an RO unit

Well x-mas is right around the corner and my parents have been hitting me up to give them some ideas. I am thinking something I can really use is an RO unit.

Now that I have set up the 90g with sump I am using a lot more water just for top offs let alone 10-15g for pwc at a pop.

Currently I own 4 5gal jugs and make regular trips to the LFS where they sell Ro. I figure that an average of 10 gallons a week an RO unit would pay for itself in less than a year.

Anyway, I need thoughts on models. Looking for something good yet affordable. I am thinking along the lines of a 20gpd unit or less as I do not see myself using more than 20gal a week even if I get to the point of consistently doing weekly pwc.

The LFS carries the 50gpd of this brand:

http://www.marineandreef.com/shoppro/ro_cor.htm

Also, I was told that once they ar set up you want to run them as often as you can or the filter units can go bad which Is why I am thinking of a smaller unit.

I realize the filters need to be cahnged periodically as well. Anyone know how often, so I can figure that into my long term maintenance costs?

TIA,

Tank: 90 Gal SW Reef in the making

See my info for setup and inhabitant details:
afilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 11:59 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
A 20 GPD unit is really undersized. IF you ever need to do a big water change you will be banging your head aganst the wall as you wait 48 hours to produce enough RO water and than another 24 hours to mix the salt.

I strongly suggest something like this http://www.aquariumwaterfilters.com/RODI/Barracuda.html

The Barracuda offers the following features:

High efficiency 1-micron sediment pre-filter
2-micron chlorine guzzler carbon block pre-filter or our exclusive chlorine and chloramine-removal filters
High flow/ high rejection TFC membrane
High-efficiency color-changing DI cartridge
160 PSI pressure gauge marked with operating and unsafe ranges
In-Line TDS meter
Solid Aluminum "no-rust" metal mounting bracket
Clear 10" filter cartridge housings.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 12:24 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

OK,

If I go with a 50gpd unit I would only need to run it for short periods of time to get what I need. Does starting and stopping them for short periods and then letting them set negatively affect the units or cartridges.

I guess I was thinking of a smaller unit because I plan to keep some RO stored ahead. I do have my old 75g tank that I was thinking of using to store RO and then 18 gal tubs to premix sw. Is having a 30 day supply on hand an issue? Once it is filtered I would assume it is good as long as it remains covered?

If the 50gph units are better quality that is something to consider as well. I see the Baracuda units only come in 50gpd or larger.

Thanks,

Old 11-15-2005, 12:32 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Many peole here, incliding myself, have purchased from filterdirect on ebay with exscellent results. I bought a 110 gpd unit with RO/DI and it works just great. I can get 5 gallons in about 70-80 minutes. Shipped for $121.50!

Here's the unit. You'll be very happy:

http://cgi.ebay.com/AQUARIUM-2-110GPD-RO-2DI-REVERSE-OSMOSIS-water-system_W0QQitemZ7724582491QQcategoryZ20756QQrdZ1QQ cmdZViewItem
runway1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 12:36 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
There are no problems with having the RO unit sit idle for periods of time. You can hook up a 'back flush kit' to flush out the RO membrane after each use to help prolong the life of the RO membrane. A TDS meter is also important if the RO unit your getting does not have one. With out a TDS meter there is no way of knowing when the RO membrane and canisters filters are needing to be replaced.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 12:48 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

well u don't need to keep it run as often as possible, just try to not that the filter dry out,that all u need to do basicly, and how often is depend on how frequent u changing water, and the quality of ur local water source. u can use its filter that came with the unit to test it out, but if u want to get the number before spending, i would say its hard or even impossible.
oyf709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 12:59 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks for all the info.

I can see why the meter would be inportant. I do not believe the corallife models have one.

I will check E-bay tonight at home. For some reason my empolyer has blocked access (I wonder why? ). I am thankful they have not found AA to block.

Keep the info. coming. Once I figure out what I need/want I will need to spell it out in red crayon for the folks. They are not the fish savy type.

I guess that is why gift certificates are nice.

Old 11-15-2005, 01:01 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Oh, what about producing extra RO water and letting it sit in a covered container until needed. Anyone see any problems with that?

Old 11-15-2005, 02:36 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

well...unless u have some huge storage space...if u do, that if prety good way to do, so u don't need to ush for water change. I would suggest just storage enough for 1 water change...so u can fill it up after u change water and wait till the next time u need it again.

oyf709 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ro unit, unit

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com