Thoughts on buying a water changer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
IMHO- It's great product and does work & you will like it. Super easy to use & nice build they did. I have good pressure for the kitchen faucet and does a good job when im cleaning my aquarium and all the dookie at the bottom..lol

It does take some time when cleaning or removing the water out at least here. I also look at all the water that is also going out since your faucet water need to run & this will bring your water bill up some. Now filling up is nice for those that do the bucket trips. For me I'm not using it for filling up but cleaning the sand. I have a 32g trash can I use for mixing up for KH/GH for the cichlids & have a small pump 800GPH that pumps it back in the aquarium. At the end, I say go for it! (y)

Go for it! I have the same one and I love it. It makes water changes so much easier to do, I can't imagine having to haul buckets for my 56 gallon tank. I made do with a siphon and buckets until I got that tank, and it's one of the best purchases I've made as far as fish stuff goes. Just be careful with the valves you turn to change from siphon to fill up, I've heard a few reports of them breaking. Also, you will probably need to buy an adapter for your sink faucet, but those are just a couple bucks at any hardware store. Just bring the part that screws onto your sink and the aerator for your sink faucet and the people at the hardware store will be able to find the right one for you.

That's the one I use and I love it. I don't hook it to the sink until I'm ready to fill up, though. I don't like to waste water - just dip the end of it into the tank and lift up a few times to get water into the tubing, it will create a siphon and suck the water right out - I run mine out the back door.

Thanks for all of the informative replies I will take this product into consideration :)

You guys love your water changes on this site don't you lol

For a small tank they maybe good but for larger tanks they are to slow just look at the size of the hose

Well that is perfecto to me! I only have a 10 and 20 gallon along with a lazy personality :p water changes= too much work

I use one as well for my 60g. I use it to drain from my tank during water changes but I can't fill back up from the faucet since my tank is saltwater. However, I do use it to fill back up by connecting it to a pump that stays in the tub that holds my new water.

Also, I've found that the water from the sink does not have to stay on to drain the tank. I do turn both the cold and hot on to begin the siphon but turn it off a few seconds later once it has began to drain from the tank.

Such a good price too compared to what petco petsmart offer

You guys love your water changes on this site don't you lol

For a small tank they maybe good but for larger tanks they are to slow just look at the size of the hose

I use my python on my 115 gallon tanks and my 120g tank, as well as all my others. I have no issues at all. 16 tanks, 1 python, life is good.

You can try a garfrn hose to empty and use the python ti fill up. I use it tgia way but use gravity to empty my tank.

I use my python on my 115 gallon tanks and my 120g tank, as well as all my others. I have no issues at all. 16 tanks, 1 python, life is good.

Well as I have said before I found the python rubbish

You only need to suck up a few bits of gravel and they get stuck in the tap connector

I had a python for over 10 years and after 6 months I pulled of the tap connector and just laid that end in the bath

It put the gravel vac part in the bin and replaced it with one of them gravel vacs you move up and down in the water to get the flow started

So it worked out I paid a lot of money just for a hose

I could have saved money buy just buying a long hose and the good gravel vac at the start

Another problem is if the vac part comes out of the water you need to keep going back to the sink tap to get the flow started again

I can't coment on other changers but the python it rubbish the clear part of the gravel cleaner doesn't even stay on the hose nicely

The aqueon water charger comes with a faucet adapter for sinks. Does this adapter work for most sinks?

I had the aqueon water changer for all of 2 weeks and it got thrown in the basement never to be seen again, it had terrible suction and was a massive waste of water, I ended up hooking a garden hose to a real gravel vac to drain and hook up the same hose to the kitchen faucet to fill,

I'm going to give it a try it comes Tuesday I actually bought an adapter and the valve separate and I have 30 feet of vinyl tubing all I have to do is connect the tubing to the valve part and to a really good vacuum I have

I don't use the faucet for the venturi effect as I was thinking it might have created more pressure for cleaning and doing the PWC but it doesnt on my end. Also too much water going out, so I now just opened the sliding door or out the window when I move the aquarium to the new place. Just need to suck on the end of the hose and that is all. It does have a small
diameter hose & the reason for all the above

Back
Top Bottom