Through-the-wall aquarium - past experiences or advice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DallasFish

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi All -

I am installing a 75G fw tank that will sit on a bookshelf in one room and be visibile through a framed opening in a room on the other side of a wall.

I am planning to install the filtration on the ends of the tank (spraybars and returns) and hide the plumbing by running down the wall from the sides of the tank.

Has anyone else had experience with two-sided aquariums? I'm always looking to learn from someone else's successes (or failures :p)

Thanks Oni!

I completed the project!! It took longer than I thought but I think it looks good. I'll post pics on the profile sometime soon.

It's looking good Dallasfish. I especially like the way you framed the tank from the side the couch is on.

How do you do something like this? How would I go about doing this. I want to do something like this when I buy a home, but I have no carpenter experience.

What tools do you need? Do you just cut a hole in the wall?

How do you do something like this? How would I go about doing this. I want to do something like this when I buy a home, but I have no carpenter experience.

What tools do you need? Do you just cut a hole in the wall?

Well, its not quite that simple. You have to figure out if you have a load-bearing wall first, that is, does it support the weight of the roof. If so, you have to take extra precautions (like using a jack to support the wall while you put in a header). If you have a friend that has some knowledge of framing/construction I'd talk with them. Search the boards/google for more info on people who have done it, too.

In my case, it turned out that the weight was supported at each end of the wall, away from where I was working, so that made the job easier. I still put in a strong header just to be safe.

In case you're curious, a header transfers the weight above around the sides of the hole to the area beneath.

Back
Top Bottom