Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-07-2004, 02:52 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

You will need Aquarium salt--not instant ocean or salt for a SW tank. This salt is often found near the fish meds.
I would go with the 300--better safe than sorry. According to Pet Discounters, the 200 is good for 20 gal tanks and the 300 is good for 30 gal tanks. Overall, Aqua Clear is a good value and lasts a long time.
http://www.petdiscounters.com/aquari...ha_ac_200.html
http://www.petdiscounters.com/aquari...ha_ac_300.html

BTW--you found it at a great price through yahoo.

Menagerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 02:57 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to skiingmaniac00 Send a message via MSN to skiingmaniac00 Send a message via Yahoo to skiingmaniac00
How is it on Replacement filters? Change alot and expensive?

Old 06-07-2004, 03:02 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Many of us do not replace filters until they are literally falling apart. During water changes, if I noticed a decrease in water flow, I rinse my filter in a bucket of old tank water. Activated carbon does not have a long life, but there is no need to replace it. It provides a great place for bacteria to live. The only time you would need carbon is if you add meds or a chemical gets in there and you need to take it out. Personally, there is no carbon in my 6 tanks.
I have a Aquaclear 150 (?) on a 10 gal tank--overkill, but I got it cheap at an auction. There are two sponges in there, it could hold three and everything has been fine since setting up the tank a few months ago.
Expensive--no. This is the filter for you!

Menagerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 04:05 AM   #14

Send a message via AIM to skiingmaniac00 Send a message via MSN to skiingmaniac00 Send a message via Yahoo to skiingmaniac00
Cool. Thanks for the info. I'll be checking in on that very soon! Replacement filters are a decent price and the 300 is pretty cheap on Yahoo Store for only 21 bucks. I'll look around more to see if I can get it even cheaper

If anyone else has some more information for me, by all means Let Me know
Old 06-07-2004, 11:10 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to oscarbreeder
Aquarium salt.

You can find it in your LFS.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v328/kyman_33/sig.jpg
oscarbreeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 11:56 AM   #16

Gotcha.. Will be getting that today.
Old 06-07-2004, 03:07 PM   #17
AA Team Emeritus

I do not put salt in my tanks, except for my almost brackish mollies. Otherwise I have never had a need to use it.

I would return those sharks (great link, Menagerie!) and do a fishless cycle to get the tank ready for fish. I think the AC 200 would be fine for the tank.

There is info in the Articles section here about cycling the tank, if you need info.
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 03:10 PM   #18

Thanks for the input. I haven't put any salt in the tank yet. Like I said before, I have a water softner for tap water, so I know a little bit of salt will be in the tank. Other than that, all the fish are alive and doing well(for now atleast).
Old 06-14-2004, 03:50 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

Menagerie
I read somewhere that you shouldn't leave Carbon in the tank for more than a month or so. Once it has absorbed all it can it may start to release the Toxins back into the water.
At pet smart you can find bags made out of a netting material and a bag of polyfiber. If your filter has a plastic frame just cut off the old fiber material except around the edges. Dump the old Carbon replace it or not is up to you. Cut a piece of the polyfiber to fit the filter. Put it in the net bag to hold it all together. For the price of one filter you have enough polyfiber to redo the old one many times.
Old 06-14-2004, 02:31 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Activist

Always try for Aquarium safe salt sold at the lfs. It's actually pretty cheap.

Many people will contend table salt is okay...but why gamble? Some table salt has additives, and I'm not sure what brands.

Same for Rock Salt. Some people swear this is okay, but some rock salt, especially the type sold at Home Depot type stores have caking agents.

A small box of Aquarium Salt by Aquarium Pharmacueticals is relatively cheap and will last a while. At 1 Tbsp per 10 gallons, sounds like you'd only use 3 Tbsp to begin with and you'll only need to replace 1 Tbsp at a time every few water changes.

4 - Leopard Danio's
3 - Bleeding Heart Tetra's
1 - Serpae Tetra
1 - Red Wag Platy
2 - Fancy Male Guppies
1 - Ghost Shrimp
jaysono is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
filter, new filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com