Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-07-2004, 01:23 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to skiingmaniac00 Send a message via MSN to skiingmaniac00 Send a message via Yahoo to skiingmaniac00
Time to get new filter?

I have a Whisper 30 for my 29gal FW tank, it came with the Start-up kit when I bought it. Just wondering if I should go and buy a new one instead, like a biowheel 280 or 330? I've talked to a different fish stores about it and I'm still not sure what to do. Any help would be nice

Old 06-07-2004, 01:28 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to krap101
i found my 29 gallon today. (thank the Lord) my dad took it and was threating to break it for some reason. he was hiding it in out backyard in a batch if trees. err more of a forest. yeah to me whispers are whimpy and thats why i didnt buy a starter set. 280 and 330 sounds nice. i bought the 280. because it was on sale for 29.99 at bigals. dont know if its still on. saved 5$. i bought the plastic media holder for the 2nd slot and a 4 pack of cartrages. personally i would pick the 280 because it had the spray bar, 2 pumps, etc. but the 330 has the same amount of media space (i think) and i think the only differences are the emperor has 2 pumps and it has a spray bar.

your choice because their both great filters

Old 06-07-2004, 01:47 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

[center:e88e6d9d0e] Welcome to AA, skiingmaniac00! [/center:e88e6d9d0e]

krap has been a little high strung today

The answer you really want is 6x gph, which means, you are looking for a filter that has 180 gph. If you have very messy fish like the larger cichlids or goldfish, you want 1 gph. Both Aqua Clear and Bio wheel filters are well liked by members of this board. Personally, I use canister filters on my tanks that are 29 gals and higher, due to the ability to put in all ceramic media or crushed coral or peat, etc.
What fish are you keeping/going to keep? Did you cycle your tank yet?

Menagerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 02:01 AM   #4

Send a message via AIM to skiingmaniac00 Send a message via MSN to skiingmaniac00 Send a message via Yahoo to skiingmaniac00
I want to keep the sharks, but probably in time I will get rid of them. Cycled the tank yet..haha funny one. I've only have the tank running for about 3 days and got the 5 iridescent sharks a 1 1/2 days later. They are acting like they should be and eating normal. I will be having my water checked in a few days and then getting the stuff I need. But I didn't know if I should upgrade my filter at all.
Old 06-07-2004, 02:15 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Oh! So you're doing a cycle with fish--we've all been there! You need to have a water testing kit (ammonia, nitrite and nitrate) at home to test the water daily. Emergencies don't always happen during business hours! If the fish are stressing, you will need to do water changes to get them through the cycle.

What is the gph on your current filter?
You may want to return those sharks for something smaller sooner rather than later: http://kingsoftheaquarium.tripod.com...scentshark.htm

Old 06-07-2004, 02:26 AM   #6

I'm not sure on the gph. The Filter I got in the starter kit was a Whisper 30. I'd actually have to get the box and look. When I do go get my water tested this week, I will be picking up a testing kit so I can keep track of the ammonia,nitrite,and nitrates.
Old 06-07-2004, 02:26 AM   #7

I'm not sure on the gph. The Filter I got in the starter kit was a Whisper 30. I'd actually have to get the box and look. When I do go get my water tested this week, I will be picking up a testing kit so I can keep track of the ammonia,nitrite,and nitrates.
Old 06-07-2004, 02:36 AM   #8

One more thing. Do I need to add any salt to the tank? I know when I bought the fish, it said add either a teaspoon or tablespoon of salt but not sure. I have a water softner for tap water.

With the filter for the tank, is an AquaClear 200 any good? I found it online for about 15 bucks.
http://store.yahoo.com/animalworldne...2pofi110v.html
Or AquaClear 300
http://store.yahoo.com/animalworldne...3pofi110v.html

I'm kinda looking for a filter that is easy and doesn't close alot in the long run with replacing filters and stuff. Maybe everyone would know better on that than I would
Old 06-07-2004, 02:39 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

You can add a Tablespoon per 10 gallons.

Old 06-07-2004, 02:42 AM   #10

What kind of salt?

I also added more to the post before if you didn't notice

Tags
filter, new filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com