Time to get new filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skiingmaniac00

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a Whisper 30 for my 29gal FW tank, it came with the Start-up kit when I bought it. Just wondering if I should go and buy a new one instead, like a biowheel 280 or 330? I've talked to a different fish stores about it and I'm still not sure what to do. Any help would be nice

i found my 29 gallon today. (thank the Lord) my dad took it and was threating to break it for some reason. he was hiding it in out backyard in a batch if trees. err more of a forest. yeah to me whispers are whimpy and thats why i didnt buy a starter set. 280 and 330 sounds nice. i bought the 280. because it was on sale for 29.99 at bigals. dont know if its still on. saved 5$. i bought the plastic media holder for the 2nd slot and a 4 pack of cartrages. personally i would pick the 280 because it had the spray bar, 2 pumps, etc. but the 330 has the same amount of media space (i think) and i think the only differences are the emperor has 2 pumps and it has a spray bar.

your choice because their both great filters

[center:e88e6d9d0e] :smilecolros: Welcome to AA, skiingmaniac00! :n00b: [/center:e88e6d9d0e]

krap has been a little high strung today :wink:

The answer you really want is 6x gph, which means, you are looking for a filter that has 180 gph. If you have very messy fish like the larger cichlids or goldfish, you want 10X gph. Both Aqua Clear and Bio wheel filters are well liked by members of this board. Personally, I use canister filters on my tanks that are 29 gals and higher, due to the ability to put in all ceramic media or crushed coral or peat, etc.
What fish are you keeping/going to keep? Did you cycle your tank yet?

I want to keep the sharks, but probably in time I will get rid of them. Cycled the tank yet..haha funny one. I've only have the tank running for about 3 days and got the 5 iridescent sharks a 1 1/2 days later. They are acting like they should be and eating normal. I will be having my water checked in a few days and then getting the stuff I need. But I didn't know if I should upgrade my filter at all.

Oh! So you're doing a cycle with fish--we've all been there! You need to have a water testing kit (ammonia, nitrite and nitrate) at home to test the water daily. Emergencies don't always happen during business hours! If the fish are stressing, you will need to do water changes to get them through the cycle.

What is the gph on your current filter?
You may want to return those sharks for something smaller sooner rather than later: http://kingsoftheaquarium.tripod.com/iridescentshark.htm

I'm not sure on the gph. The Filter I got in the starter kit was a Whisper 30. I'd actually have to get the box and look. When I do go get my water tested this week, I will be picking up a testing kit so I can keep track of the ammonia,nitrite,and nitrates.

I'm not sure on the gph. The Filter I got in the starter kit was a Whisper 30. I'd actually have to get the box and look. When I do go get my water tested this week, I will be picking up a testing kit so I can keep track of the ammonia,nitrite,and nitrates.

One more thing. Do I need to add any salt to the tank? I know when I bought the fish, it said add either a teaspoon or tablespoon of salt but not sure. I have a water softner for tap water.

With the filter for the tank, is an AquaClear 200 any good? I found it online for about 15 bucks.
http://store.yahoo.com/animalworldnetwork/aq2pofi110v.html
Or AquaClear 300
http://store.yahoo.com/animalworldnetwork/aq3pofi110v.html

I'm kinda looking for a filter that is easy and doesn't close alot in the long run with replacing filters and stuff. Maybe everyone would know better on that than I would

You will need Aquarium salt--not instant ocean or salt for a SW tank. This salt is often found near the fish meds.
I would go with the 300--better safe than sorry. According to Pet Discounters, the 200 is good for 20 gal tanks and the 300 is good for 30 gal tanks. Overall, Aqua Clear is a good value and lasts a long time.
http://www.petdiscounters.com/aquarium/filters/hagen/ha_ac_200.html
http://www.petdiscounters.com/aquarium/filters/hagen/ha_ac_300.html

BTW--you found it at a great price through yahoo.

Many of us do not replace filters until they are literally falling apart. During water changes, if I noticed a decrease in water flow, I rinse my filter in a bucket of old tank water. Activated carbon does not have a long life, but there is no need to replace it. It provides a great place for bacteria to live. The only time you would need carbon is if you add meds or a chemical gets in there and you need to take it out. Personally, there is no carbon in my 6 tanks.
I have a Aquaclear 150 (?) on a 10 gal tank--overkill, but I got it cheap at an auction. There are two sponges in there, it could hold three and everything has been fine since setting up the tank a few months ago.
Expensive--no. This is the filter for you!

Cool. Thanks for the info. I'll be checking in on that very soon! Replacement filters are a decent price and the 300 is pretty cheap on Yahoo Store for only 21 bucks. I'll look around more to see if I can get it even cheaper :D

If anyone else has some more information for me, by all means Let Me know :)

I do not put salt in my tanks, except for my almost brackish mollies. Otherwise I have never had a need to use it.

I would return those sharks (great link, Menagerie!) and do a fishless cycle to get the tank ready for fish. I think the AC 200 would be fine for the tank.

There is info in the Articles section here about cycling the tank, if you need info.

Thanks for the input. I haven't put any salt in the tank yet. Like I said before, I have a water softner for tap water, so I know a little bit of salt will be in the tank. Other than that, all the fish are alive and doing well(for now atleast).

Menagerie
I read somewhere that you shouldn't leave Carbon in the tank for more than a month or so. Once it has absorbed all it can it may start to release the Toxins back into the water.
At pet smart you can find bags made out of a netting material and a bag of polyfiber. If your filter has a plastic frame just cut off the old fiber material except around the edges. Dump the old Carbon replace it or not is up to you. Cut a piece of the polyfiber to fit the filter. Put it in the net bag to hold it all together. For the price of one filter you have enough polyfiber to redo the old one many times.

Always try for Aquarium safe salt sold at the lfs. It's actually pretty cheap.

Many people will contend table salt is okay...but why gamble? Some table salt has additives, and I'm not sure what brands.

Same for Rock Salt. Some people swear this is okay, but some rock salt, especially the type sold at Home Depot type stores have caking agents.

A small box of Aquarium Salt by Aquarium Pharmacueticals is relatively cheap and will last a while. At 1 Tbsp per 10 gallons, sounds like you'd only use 3 Tbsp to begin with and you'll only need to replace 1 Tbsp at a time every few water changes.

Back
Top Bottom