Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-01-2011, 12:05 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Time to replace 10,000Ks

I have a light fixture 6-65w power compact. 2-6700Ks(new), 2-420nm actinics and I have 2-10,000ks that came with the light fixture that I bought that are getting dull(?) in color. I replaced both of the 10,000Ks. My question is: Can I keep the old 10,000Ks and just replace the actinics? I don't use it anyway. Would it be considered a high light even if the old 10,000Ks are not as good as it was before? Thanks.

Old 05-01-2011, 12:10 PM   #2
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

I've read that bulbs, after a year to 18 months, no longer provide the light required and simply fuel algae. Whether that's the case, i don't know for certain. That's one of those things I don't want to try out myself.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 12:18 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

the amount of drop off and colour shift will vary from one tube to another. After 6 months it is somewhere in the neighborhood of 40%. However, I have some T8 tubes that were removed from an office after 6 months and I have been using them for around 2 years, 10 hours per day, and they are still growing plants.
Old 05-01-2011, 12:25 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

How does it fuel algae? Even with other new bulbs? How often do you change your bulbs?

Is it ideal to replace bulbs every 6 months? That's going to be expensive.
Old 05-02-2011, 02:27 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have power compacts and replace them every 6 months. Even though they never look "dull" when I replace them, I'm always amazed at how bright the new lights are. Bright enough that I stagger the 10k and actinics so I'm not replacing them all at once.

The algae growth can be fueled because of the color shift as the bulbs get older. Our eyes can't see it, but the algae can as the color shifts to the part of the spectrum that favors plants instead of coral.
Old 05-02-2011, 02:34 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thank you Kurt for the information.

I should start taking notes and write down the date I got the bulbs so I'll know when to replace them.
Old 05-04-2011, 03:43 PM   #7
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I think that staggering replacements is a good idea and IMO, replacing the actinics with the "old" 10,000Ks isn't going to hurt if this is for a planted tank (I am assuming it is?) as the actinics aren't going to help with plant growth anyway.

Check out my 50 Gallon Build
Coleallensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 03:51 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coleallensmom
I think that staggering replacements is a good idea and IMO, replacing the actinics with the "old" 10,000Ks isn't going to hurt if this is for a planted tank (I am assuming it is?) as the actinics aren't going to help with plant growth anyway.
Does the old 10,000Ks still have benefits for plants? Or more for algae and that it will just add to my electric bill? :p I already have 4-65W. The old 10KKs will make it 6-65W on a 125g planted tank.
Old 05-04-2011, 04:13 PM   #9
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I would think the old 10,000Ks would have more benefit for plants then the actinics. Daylight/plant bulbs are usually "full spectrum," which means they contain all the different colors of light in the light spectrum. Plants need the red, orange and yellow colors found in the lower end of the light spectrum in order to grow. Actinics usually have only blue or sometimes blue and white light.

That being said, you don't need to run all 6 bulbs to grow plants. Just running four of them would put you at about 2 wpg.

How many wpg are you running on your discus tank?

Check out my 50 Gallon Build
Coleallensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 04:41 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coleallensmom
I would think the old 10,000Ks would have more benefit for plants then the actinics. Daylight/plant bulbs are usually "full spectrum," which means they contain all the different colors of light in the light spectrum. Plants need the red, orange and yellow colors found in the lower end of the light spectrum in order to grow. Actinics usually have only blue or sometimes blue and white light.

That being said, you don't need to run all 6 bulbs to grow plants. Just running four of them would put you at about 2 wpg.

How many wpg are you running on your discus tank?
I don't use the actinics. Just the 2-6,700Ks and 2-10,000Ks. I recently replaced the 10,000Ks with new ones that's why I have 2 old bulbs. Now I'm thinking of replacing the actinics with the old bulbs. Making my fixture 6-65W on a 125g. I run CO2 and dose ferts. So far I have 2wpg n my discus tank.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com