Time to replace 10,000Ks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

roydooms

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a light fixture 6-65w power compact. 2-6700Ks(new), 2-420nm actinics and I have 2-10,000ks that came with the light fixture that I bought that are getting dull(?) in color. I replaced both of the 10,000Ks. My question is: Can I keep the old 10,000Ks and just replace the actinics? I don't use it anyway. Would it be considered a high light even if the old 10,000Ks are not as good as it was before? Thanks.

I've read that bulbs, after a year to 18 months, no longer provide the light required and simply fuel algae. Whether that's the case, i don't know for certain. That's one of those things I don't want to try out myself.

the amount of drop off and colour shift will vary from one tube to another. After 6 months it is somewhere in the neighborhood of 40%. However, I have some T8 tubes that were removed from an office after 6 months and I have been using them for around 2 years, 10 hours per day, and they are still growing plants.

How does it fuel algae? Even with other new bulbs? How often do you change your bulbs?

Is it ideal to replace bulbs every 6 months? That's going to be expensive.

I have power compacts and replace them every 6 months. Even though they never look "dull" when I replace them, I'm always amazed at how bright the new lights are. Bright enough that I stagger the 10k and actinics so I'm not replacing them all at once.

The algae growth can be fueled because of the color shift as the bulbs get older. Our eyes can't see it, but the algae can as the color shifts to the part of the spectrum that favors plants instead of coral.

Thank you Kurt for the information.

I should start taking notes and write down the date I got the bulbs so I'll know when to replace them.

I think that staggering replacements is a good idea and IMO, replacing the actinics with the "old" 10,000Ks isn't going to hurt if this is for a planted tank (I am assuming it is?) as the actinics aren't going to help with plant growth anyway.

Coleallensmom said:
I think that staggering replacements is a good idea and IMO, replacing the actinics with the "old" 10,000Ks isn't going to hurt if this is for a planted tank (I am assuming it is?) as the actinics aren't going to help with plant growth anyway.

Does the old 10,000Ks still have benefits for plants? Or more for algae and that it will just add to my electric bill? :p I already have 4-65W. The old 10KKs will make it 6-65W on a 125g planted tank.

I would think the old 10,000Ks would have more benefit for plants then the actinics. Daylight/plant bulbs are usually "full spectrum," which means they contain all the different colors of light in the light spectrum. Plants need the red, orange and yellow colors found in the lower end of the light spectrum in order to grow. Actinics usually have only blue or sometimes blue and white light.

That being said, you don't need to run all 6 bulbs to grow plants. Just running four of them would put you at about 2 wpg.

How many wpg are you running on your discus tank?

Coleallensmom said:
I would think the old 10,000Ks would have more benefit for plants then the actinics. Daylight/plant bulbs are usually "full spectrum," which means they contain all the different colors of light in the light spectrum. Plants need the red, orange and yellow colors found in the lower end of the light spectrum in order to grow. Actinics usually have only blue or sometimes blue and white light.

That being said, you don't need to run all 6 bulbs to grow plants. Just running four of them would put you at about 2 wpg.

How many wpg are you running on your discus tank?

I don't use the actinics. Just the 2-6,700Ks and 2-10,000Ks. I recently replaced the 10,000Ks with new ones that's why I have 2 old bulbs. Now I'm thinking of replacing the actinics with the old bulbs. Making my fixture 6-65W on a 125g. I run CO2 and dose ferts. So far I have 2wpg n my discus tank.

I don't use the actinics. Just the 2-6,700Ks and 2-10,000Ks. I recently replaced the 10,000Ks with new ones that's why I have 2 old bulbs. Now I'm thinking of replacing the actinics with the old bulbs. Making my fixture 6-65W on a 125g. I run CO2 and dose ferts. So far I have 2wpg n my discus tank.

Yep, I figured you didn't...just was pointing out that if you wanted to run more lights, the old 10Ks would be better IMo then the actinics. If you are already running Co2, then the extra wpg shouldn't hurt anything. It's really your call.

How does it fuel algae? Even with other new bulbs? How often do you change your bulbs?

If all of your bulbs are old and not functioning properly, then the plants will not be getting the right spectrum they need for growth...hence giving algae an opportunity to grow. Not really something I'd think you'd have to worry about in your situation.

Is it ideal to replace bulbs every 6 months? That's going to be expensive.

I've heard so many conflicting reports- anywhere from 6months to a year. I am sure the amount of time each individual runs their fixtures everyday can play into that. 6 months for the fixture on my 37 gal would have been May, but I just got a new fixture (switching over to a 50 gal) so I guess I don't have to worry about it for a few more months ;)

Hi Alisha,

So I ended up replacing the actinics with the old 10,000Ks. You said that the extra lights won't hurt the plants but does it have any benefits? Maybe a little? Or is it just as good as not adding it?

Of course the whole factor here is that we don't know is just how old the bulbs are, but you're talking a difference between 2 wpg and about 3 wpg. With the higher watts you might begin to worry about the need for Co2, but you're already supplying that. I don't see a down side to running them at least for a trial period, but then that's just my opinion.

Coleallensmom said:
Of course the whole factor here is that we don't know is just how old the bulbs are, but you're talking a difference between 2 wpg and about 3 wpg. With the higher watts you might begin to worry about the need for Co2, but you're already supplying that. I don't see a down side to running them at least for a trial period, but then that's just my opinion.

My photo period is usually 9hours but when I added the other 2, I lowered it down to 7hrs to see how my tank reacts(?) to the light. I even split the photoperiod to 4 on, 4 off, 3 on.

Back
Top Bottom