Timers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chrayis

Aquarium Advice Regular
I currently have a power strip with a built in digital timer. It has eight outlets. Four that are constantly on and four that are programmable. The four that are programmable are considered day time and night time, two of each. While the day times are on the nights are off and vice versa. The power strip timer works well but I can't program both of the "day time" plugs separately. While I used this device with my freshwater set up it was fine. But since diving into salt and getting a led light fixture I would like to have a power strip with a few programmable outlets. Does anyone have a strip like this or what do you use when you need several items on timers ?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I think I have the same timer strip....it was to annoying to figure out so I just bought one of those individual aquarium timers

I also think I have the same one. Blue outlets ( maybe grey I forget ) yellow and white ones. Now just used as a power strip and installed a digital timer for lights. Never could figure it out.

Lol what do you mean never could figure it out? The yellow channel (day) is on when the blue (night) are off. Once your 2 yellows turn off the 2 blue turn on. The white ones are full time power.

These timer strips are for aquariums who run a reverse light cycle refugium or moon lights/both. In one scenario you could have a 4light T5 fixture with 2 plugs (2 bulbs per channel). While you can not do individual timers per outlet, you can control both outlets for one timing function. Once your display tank light turns off your refugium light turns on promoting pH stability around carbon dioxide.

You could use the other switch for a faint blue moonlight LED in the display I suppose too..

I get the idea behind having it timed and the benefits of the fuge on separate times.

I scratched mine for the same reason you posted I believe. I had compact fluorescents above my nano before leds and wanted to program two day sets and couldn't. Even though they say it's for aquariums I don't believe they really are. I think there meant to randomly turn on light fixtures in a home when you are away.

Does it look similar to the pic? Bought this at Home Depot and saw the same shell on a dubbed "aquarium timer" one.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1436307813.320730.jpg

It's similar to that one. Mine is white with two yellow and two blue outlets. What reefer said makes sense about the refugium. I was trying to find a all in one device instead of having several timers

This one does what you are all wanting I believe?
Amazon.com : Coralife 01691 Power Center Dual Day Night Timer : Aquariums : Pet Supplies
Yellow,blue black!
Three colors for thre different lighting phases!!!
IMO all the timer power strips are bunk and once one part fails(the blue)Then you have only yellow and black or .....
get separate timers.
I am all anolog after having "digital battery backed up"........
What a PIA !!!!
Anolog baby!
I have had the coralife strip and it lasted atleast ayear or so?

I just have separate timers on a power strip. Each water clean the power is switched off so I have to reset them each week but otherwise works ok and they sit in the cabinet under the tank out of the way.

I've seen remote control power points which I reckon would be handy for the maze of double adapters behind the tank but have been unable to justify getting one to try yet.

I use a device called Orvibo wifi smart socket. I bought it from amazon a week ago and now they have it on hold for some odd reason. Anyway it allows me to turn on schedules for the outlet and also remotely turn on and off my lights anywhere where I have wifi or 3g/4g I will say when I received the unit I thought I wasted my money as the timer wouldn't work but I waited a day just to see if it would work if I gave it time and it did. I'm a happy camper for $20

Sent from my LG-G4 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

That's a good suggest. But I think I'm going to swing by the hardware store and pick up some inexpensive timers for the time being. My tank is only a few months old and I should start shopping smarter so I can continue to stock it.

Back
Top Bottom