Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-14-2004, 08:04 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Tiny Filter?

I have a small one gallon tank; its not hex shaped, sorta like a rounded rectangle. Its one of those tanks that comes with those stupid undergravel filters. I hate the **** thing. First off, it doesnt work, AT ALL! and secondly, I hate air pumps, they sound like they are gonna rumble the house apart. Ive even tried using an expensive pump with it and its still too loud for my liking. Im wondering, is there a small powerhead filter that will work in a 1 gal, or another type of filter that would work. Thanks guys.

Old 07-14-2004, 09:26 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

There are micro hang on back filters. Dunno how they work but I've seen them on Nano reefs and Betta tanks at the LFS. They are usually made out of clear plastic and remind me of a whisper or aquaclear.

Old 07-15-2004, 12:44 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ditto for the ultra small HOB filters, you could also run a small internal filter.
Generally though for small tanks/bowls like that we just do a bi-weekly water change for our Betta's.

ChileRelleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 01:37 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to Endgame319
Ta da!
http://bigalsonline.ca/catalog/product.xml?product_id=29281;category_id=1721

I use one in my betta tank, havent had any problems. What city do you live in? Most of the bigger ones have a big al's retail store, that's where I got mine. HTH
Old 07-15-2004, 01:39 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to Endgame319
Woah Chile, I noticed in your sig your using an AC300 on a 10g. Does your betta swim around or just ride the current all day? :P Thats a 30x turnover rate!
Old 07-15-2004, 11:59 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yeah, that tank also serves as QT/Hosp when needed .
The filter is set off all the way to one side and is on low setting, my wife submerged a 1gal bowl in the tank with opening facing away from the outflow side of the tank. The inside of the bowl has very little current and the bowl deflects/disrupts the outflow so much that other half the tank is normal, the betta loves the bowl for sleeping/resting and roams the 2/3rds of the tank not affected by the filter outflow. I've seen him play in the outflow though.

ChileRelleno is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com