To all Rena XP owners

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cbwmn

Aquarium Advice Freak
About a year ago I purchased a Rena Smart filter from Petsmart for my 46 g bf.
It ran OK for a couple of months then began making noise which was almost unbearable.
I called API (Rena) and told them of my problem and they instructed me to send the unit back and pay $26 for postage both ways.
I didn’t hear from them for about a month, so I called them. The rep told me that they
couldn’t find documentation about the return. So I told the rep that I’d send a copy of the
USPS postal insurance receipt. A couple of days later, I got an email that they were having trouble finding the unit that I had returned and asked if they could replace it at no charge. I responded, yes but with an XP 2 unit.
WELL, THEY SENT ME AN XP 2.

It worked fine for a couple of months but then started “spitting air” out of the spray bar.

I inquired on several forums and got several answers about resolving the internal leaking
problem.
I printed the responses and tried them all except one which I found this afternoon.
In that response, it stated that the leak was in the intake neck near the top and that person
fixed it by using electrical vinyl tape which is aquarium safe.
It explained that sometimes there is a minute crack in the neck of the intake tube.

I took some vinyl tape and taped from the hose to the top where the priming cap is.
WALA, no more air leak.
I still can’t see a crack or where the leak is coming from
but it is stopped.
One thing for certain, I DON” LIKE THE WIMPY HOSE CLAMPS
THAT RENA SENDS WITH THE UNIT. I thought about using automotive hose clamps
but I was afraid of cracking the plastic inlet and outlet tubes to the filter.
Last week I ordered a new set of seals and O-rings from PlanetRena. Now I’ll have spares should I need them.
I just wanted to give everybody a heads up on my Rena XP air leak.

I love the Rena XP 2, when it works without leaking air but I admit that is the only canister I own.
Charles

Something to think about...I am considering switching to a canister filter, thanks for the heads up. Anyone else have similar problems with Rena or any other canister filter?

Floyd
I love the Rena XP 2 when it’s working right.
It’s so quiet that I have to either turn off all noise
around the tank and put my ear next to the canister
or put a hand next to the spraybar to make sure it’s running.
And it filters the water thouroudghly.
The water is usually crystal clear.
The frustrating thing is that when you do have a problem,
is getting hold of a live person to help.
The company is very hard to get hold of without being put on hold
for a long time.
I went to the FAQ’s and tried all of the answers but none worked for me.
Like I said, I don’t own any other brand of canister, but the Rena XP 2
IS a quality product. I just wish the hose clamps were more substantial
and the tubing where the hose is clamped onto the tubing was strong
enough to be clamped securely.
If and when I buy another canister it will probably be another XP unit.
Charles

Well there ya go, guy.
Learn something new every day, huh?

Good on ya for being tenacious about getting results.

Ruadh

I have had an XP4 for about 5-6 years, maybe a bit more - can't recall exactly. It has been running great all this time, 24/7, 365. It can collect air in the top of the filter near the intake, but it is not a big deal and does not make much noise. When I rinse it out I hook it all back up and tip the thing back and forth, shaking a bit, to dislodge any trapped air. These are great filters, IME.

I have had an XP4 for about 5-6 years, maybe a bit more - can't recall exactly. It has been running great all this time, 24/7, 365. It can collect air in the top of the filter near the intake, but it is not a big deal and does not make much noise. When I rinse it out I hook it all back up and tip the thing back and forth, shaking a bit, to dislodge any trapped air. These are great filters, IME.

The "spitting noise" in my XP 2 was loud. It bothered my spouse when she was watching Desperate Housewives, so I HAD to fix it.
I did talk to a sales rep at Planet Reno and he asked how I had filled the canister with water after a cleaning. I told him I ususlly put the unit in the sink, inserted the baskets, then filled it with aged/Primed water and then clamped the lid shut forcing out the air and excess water.
He said the danger in that method was that the baskets and lid could be misaligned and break something (clamp down handles).
He told me to ALWAYS replace the baskets and put the unit in place empty. Then plug in the quick disconnect and let the unit siphon water from the aquarium. Every time I do it that way there is about a 1" air gap inside the canister.
Anyway it's OK now.
Charles

Interesting. I usually fill it at the sink as well. I visually inspect the trays after I put the lid on, since you can see if everything is lined up (often it is not) but I don't see how filling it at the sink is any different than filling it at the tank. The same thing happens whether you are at the sink or at the tank.

At the sink you can look to see if the trays are seated properly (they must all align together - it does not take long to get the hang of it) and adjust as necessary. It is harder to do when the filter is under the tank.

Interesting. I usually fill it at the sink as well. I visually inspect the trays after I put the lid on, since you can see if everything is lined up (often it is not) but I don't see how filling it at the sink is any different than filling it at the tank. The same thing happens whether you are at the sink or at the tank.

At the sink you can look to see if the trays are seated properly (they must all align together - it does not take long to get the hang of it) and adjust as necessary. It is harder to do when the filter is under the tank.

TG
Actually after trying it, I think it's easier the other way.
For one thing it's a lot lighter to carry.
Just let the aquarium syphon into the canister.
Charles

Back
Top Bottom