Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
View Poll Results: should i get a cannister filter???
Yes!(state what type of cannister in post) 16 72.73%
No!(state why in post) 4 18.18%
Use another type of filtration!(state in post) 2 9.09%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-10-2009, 10:18 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to HoCkEyGmC
To cannister or not to cannister...

some of you may know that i am starting an aggressive 55g tank. and that i am using the "outdated" HANDY reef thing. its an updated version of this: The One, the Only, HANDY Coral Reef!
now i wouldnt be asking this if i was just doin a normal fowlr, but im doing the aggressive style with a few "messy eaters". (full stock list: snowflake eel, fuzzy dwarf lion, 1-2 ysm clowns, and a coral beauty). i am planning on getting a bunch of lr and two #3 koriala pumps at opposite ends of the tank hopefully pointing at the lr. so yeah, im really not sure what im going to do about the rest of the filtration so im lookin for other opinions. or even if its not a cannister any other type of filtration reccomended would be appreciated. (sump is out of the question at this point). and if you suggest a cannister, what type.
Thanks evry1 soooo much! without you guys i would be wayyyyyy lost in this hobby and have killed many creatures.
Thanks again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-11-2009, 08:22 AM   #2
Thanx but no.....

Canister ... and let the branding wars begin.....

Big fan of Fluval here. You can get a 404 on ebay for $85 shipped (older model but you can't beat the price). Super quiet work horse. I have 2. One on my FW for filtration, one on my SW (with LR) for flow and media

Old 01-11-2009, 10:31 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

thanks captin! i was leaning towards getting a 404 or 403, and for around double the price, wooowww. thanks! still looking for more opinions!
Thanks!
Old 01-11-2009, 10:34 PM   #4
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Not canister. Skimmer and LR is all you need for proper filtration. I guess if you want extra filtration or need to use carbon then it would be OK. Not disagreeing with the captain. He brings up some good points.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 10:42 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

thanks! i was just wondering if a skimmer wouldnt be good enough for the potential larger chunks of food left behind by the lion or eel. any specific cheaper brands? i know you get what you pay for in skimmers but i dont have a whole lot of spare cash on my hands at the moment. the only thing that is making this project possible has been spare cash and time. and a lot of help from my dad. lr could be a problem but i recently recieved a rather hefty gift certificate to live aquaria so im good there. im thinking some of the foundation and some of the fiji fancy branch. also on a random note, does anybody know if i can use a live aquaria gift certificate at f&s or vise versa?
Thanks a bundle!
Old 01-11-2009, 10:43 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

I'm on the fence. Your aggressive tank isn't necessarily overbearing so with regular maintenance and water changes a proper protein skimmer with live rock would do the trick. I do like being able to add additional water flow and chemical media/filter pads in a canister even if they do annoy the heck out of me. Go to an lfs or mainstream retail store and look at your canister options so you know what you like/dislike about each. Pay close attention to how easy it would be for you to maintenance (this goes a long way).
Old 01-11-2009, 11:02 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

my lfs is limited to fluval sadly and pet stores are limited to power filters. sadly. i have a lack of variety. im pretty much limited to what i see online at the moment. any good hob skimmers that you would reccomend? hopefully something on the cheaper side. i know my criteria for this is bad but thats why im here not tryn to do all this on my own =].
thanks!
Old 01-12-2009, 12:27 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

well ive been looking at a few protine skimmers and i wanna see what u guys think about these cuz i havnt been getting much feedback on models. the vsi jet (cheapo i kno but im a noob to skimmers so i want any opinions.) or the prizm skimmer? (under rated for gallons but just wonderin) opinions?
Old 01-12-2009, 01:40 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

I just bought the H.O.T Magnum from F&S basically to run carbon....easy to use, but you have to dump the carbon in...couldn't fit the bag of Chemi-pure in whole..but it is a good little basic filter.

I have the Aqua C Remora Skimmer and the CPR Backpak 2R...the Remora gets a lot more skim.

Hope this helps.

Curly

The old standby Emperor 280 is a super filter...and you can put different stuff in their cartridges...I still use mine when it wants to work..
Old 01-12-2009, 04:45 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
I have a fluvial 304 on my 55 and a fluvial FX5 on my 125.....no skimmers for me.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cannister

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com