To cover or not on tanks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CobraSnake7

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have been running fresh water tanks for about two years, and salt water for about three months. SW is a 50 gallon, fresh are 100,90,70, and others. I always have plexiglass or glass tops on them. Are they really needed, especially the SW tank?

Use lids only if your fish are known to jump or escape the tank. Otherwise, it's not really needed. Also think about stuff getting into your tank, such as a cat claws or kids not knowing any better...

I prefer open top tanks, personally. I don't like how the lids get all condensation-y. But, there are great advantages to having a covered tank, especially if you are an avid Febreeze sprayer.

If you have low Ph an open tank has better gas exchange to keep the Ph up.

I'm debating leaving mine open or not. I lose so much more water with evaporation with my lids off and I don't have an ato yet.

iadubber said:
If you have low Ph an open tank has better gas exchange to keep the Ph up.

I'm debating leaving mine open or not. I lose so much more water with evaporation with my lids off and I don't have an ato yet.

What gas do you think is going to be raising pH? The only gas that would act like this is co2, which actually lowers pH, but even then a swing of 2-5 ppm wouldn't significantly affect pH.

Back
Top Bottom