Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-15-2011, 12:30 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Question To Sump or Not to Sump - Freshwater

So I have that Fluval Edge copy that I've recently built/building here, and I'm considering using my old 10 gallon tank as a sump. I'm a sump noob but I've been researching it and have 99% of the materials available to execute this.

I'm thinking of doing a 3/4" pvc overflow like this one with a few modifications and using a sump pump I already have.

Are freshwater sumps worth it? My "Fedge" tank comes to just under 7 gallons and if I understand the sump correctly, I could probably get another five or six gallons out of the sump unless I'm grossly over estimating.

Input. Good or Bad idea?
Am I totally off my rocker?

Old 09-16-2011, 02:23 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

40+ views and no input?
Did I post in the wrong section or is it just a bad idea?

Old 09-16-2011, 02:38 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

This might help-but I don't think sumps are common for FW.

http://www.fishchannel.com/fish-excl...ater-sump.aspx
Old 09-16-2011, 02:51 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have a 90g reef ready and I use it as freshwater. My sump is 20 gallons. I don't find any problems. I have it to where I close a valve and can empty my sump for waterchanges. Then I refill with the hose turn on heater and add prime. Works very well for me.
Old 09-16-2011, 02:54 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Another plus is when my angels spawn (or other fish) I have an established tank to put the eggs/fry in. It has several advantages if setup properly.
Old 09-16-2011, 11:43 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have a 90g freshwater with a 30g sump, and it works great for me. As a "bonus" I get to keep seeded media in it for quick qt or nursery tank start ups.
Old 09-17-2011, 01:16 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Well that is encouraging. I think I'm going to build a PVC overflow and start the 10g transformation into a sump. I think I have enough glass to engineer a sump of some sort.
Old 09-17-2011, 01:30 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

since its for a fw tank, you can go as simple as two chambers- one for the actual filtration and one for the return area. my 30g sump is divided into three-one for main filtration, one for return area, and third area has some crushed coral in it and houses sponge filters when not being used. IMO sumps are a plus to have, they give you many options.
Old 09-17-2011, 02:44 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

I've been reading up about measuring out the chambers. Are there any tricks or special calculations I should take into account?
Also what's a good turnover rate for the water. I've seen everything from 3-10x/ hr.
Old 09-17-2011, 02:56 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

When I set up mine I based my measurements on what I found researching on the web. I have a great link on my PC with loads of info in sumps. Ill dig it out and post for you.
I've read 8-10x turnover rate is ideal. Mine is @ 10x and no problems. I do have a power head with quick filter just some extra clean up after my messy cichlids. Lol

Tags
freshwater, sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com