To Under-gravel or Not

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

InfernoST

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi Everyone
I've been reading around the forums about people not using and or removing their under-gravel filters and was wondering why? I'm cycling a 44 gallon pentagon with africans in which i installed an under-gravel filter on top of which i put small natural gravel, was using the UG a mistake?

Thanx
:n00b:

depends on what fish you got.

There are a few not alot but a few ponds/rivers/creeks/lakes that tropicals come out of that DONT have sand bottoms, nearly all fish come from sand bottoms, with the exceptions, of course. RIFT.

do you have a RIFT tank or just some africans? chunky rock or sand I think works great for africans. I THINK, not certain, ive only used gravel with cich's and they tear the place up if they can lift the stones.

do you have a RIFT tank or just some africans? chunky rock or sand I think works great for africans. I THINK, not certain, ive only used gravel with cich's and they tear the place up if they can lift the stones.
What is a RIFT tank?

substrate is really a personal taste thing.. it helps if there are some crushed shells in it tho as they have calcium carbonate in them and that helps buffer the water.

rocks.. again are a personal preference. i use sandstone as it is everywhere on my property- so its free!! and inert.

wood is said to lower pH and if you dont have a reasonable buffer in your water it can. a lot of people say you shouldnt keep wood in a rift lake- and thats fair enough.. however i like it so i have always had wood in my tanks (just normal drift wood you get in shops). also my bristlenoses and plecs like the wood too.

Back
Top Bottom