Toggle switch for pumps, powerheads and filters??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kelso

Aquarium Advice Freak
My power outlet is located behind my tanks. I have two power strips coming from the outlet with all my timers and plugs hooked to them. They are a pain to reach to when I need to unplug cirtin things.

So I was thinking I could wire in toggle switches and position them in front of my tank for easy, quick shutoff. I want to rig them into my return pump, this is the one Im unpluging the most, my skimmer, powerheads and canister filter.

Is this possible? I know how to do it I just dont know if theres any dangers or specific switches I need to use.

Im thinking just get those 4-5 $ switches they have at home depot, the small ones, cut the positive or negative wire of whatever device, then reconect the wire with the toggle inbetween. Biggest worrie is my return pump has much larger cord, Im assuming more power so do I need a specific switch, maybe a home light toggle switch?

I use X10 (X10.com) appliance modules and control my pumps and lighting with a remote or timed via my computer.

You will need some one to help you with the wiring to do it safely.

Back
Top Bottom